Talk

Advanced search

Jam - has disaster struck? or is there still hope?

(8 Posts)
mummyontherun Wed 29-Jul-09 19:46:53

Made plum jam this morning - its still really runny. Will it set some more, or have I got 12 jars of ruby red uselessness to look at? I have a thermometer and I let it boil for over 5 mins but the temperature never reached the majic 104 that is apparently setting point, it just got stuck at about 99. Any ideas for what to do with all these jars?

MrsWalton Wed 29-Jul-09 20:20:28

You can re-boil it. You'll have to sterilise the jars again.

Do you use the cold plate/wrinkle test?

FromGirders Wed 29-Jul-09 20:22:55

Re-boil it, but do it in smaller batches. That way you can get the temperature higher.

GentleOtter Wed 29-Jul-09 20:24:34

Add Certo once you have taken it off the boil and it helps it set.

ThePurplePim Wed 29-Jul-09 20:25:26

But don't let it boil too much or you'll get 12 jars of plum-flavoured rubber (I speak from experience).

Did you add any lemon? That's good for raising the pectin level, which is what you need for jam to set properly. Some fruit needs a helping hand in this direction (can't remember if plums do - sounds like they might though...)

Lakota Wed 29-Jul-09 20:28:38

I made plum jam today and it took about 10/15 minutes of boiling to reach setting point. I never use a thermometer - you can stick a plate in the freezer and dollop it on that periodically, until you can push your finger through the jam and wrinkles slightly. I'd try boiling it again.

I used about 1kg of fruit at a time (2 batches) which made 6 jars in total, and it set really quickly, so for 12 jars you may need to boil for more like 25/30 mins?

Good luck!

Lakota Wed 29-Jul-09 20:29:35

Plums are high in pectin usually, I only add lemon juice to things like strawberries.

mummyontherun Fri 31-Jul-09 19:46:12

Thanks for help and advice! Shame i have to re-sterilise jars as had already written and stuck pretty labels! Was torn between risk of over-boiling, and not setting, but thought thermometer would be answer....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now