Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake

(3 Posts)
PM73 Wed 29-Jul-09 15:52:03

My ds is having his birthday party on Sunday & i am going to make his birthday cake.

Just a couple of questions,

I am making a sponge cake with jam & buttercream filling,when should i make this so it stays fresh?

Also i am decorating it with buttercream & icing (roary racing car) so when should i decorate it?

I was thinking of making it Friday afternoon & decorating it Sat afternoon,does this sound ok?

bellavita Wed 29-Jul-09 15:59:23

I have done madeira cakes when doing party ones as they are a bit more sturdy when it comes to slapping butter cream on them and icing. I don't see a problem with making the cake on friday and decorating it saturday though.

When you cover the cake with the buttercream, I would place it in the fridge for about an hour before putting the icing on it, it will make it firmer and easier for you to put the icing on (I assume you mean fondant icing?).

When I did my fist cake, I made the mistake of putting it into a tuppaware box with a lid on - this made it sweat, so all I do now is put a clean tea towel over the cake to keep any dust/flies off it.

Happy cake making smile

PM73 Wed 29-Jul-09 16:05:46

Thankyou,i have never made a birthday cake before,I have always bought one from CostCo blush

Thanks for the tip re the tea towel cos i was wondering how i would get it to the venue.

I am going to pipe buttercream on the cake,i have had a trial run & it didnt look too bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now