Talk

Advanced search

18mo has had nutella with no probs, should peanut butter be ok?

(11 Posts)
bamboobutton Wed 29-Jul-09 11:26:21

i'm running out of ideas for toast toppings in the morning.

he's had nutella and some of DHs crunchy nut cornflakes with no reaction but i've been sucked into the peanut paranoia.

a small amount of smooth peanut butter on toast is ok, isn't it!!

no allergies or excema in the family but dh has hayfever.

CybilLiberty Wed 29-Jul-09 11:28:04

Crunchy nut cornflakes have nuts in them. SO I'm sure he will be fine

bamboobutton Wed 29-Jul-09 11:29:42

that what i thought, small amounts on cerial over time haven't been a problem but i still have the feargrin

MrsFawlty Wed 29-Jul-09 11:30:46

My kids have both had peanut butter from about 9m - but then I did eat shedloads of it when I was pregnant so I figured they probably had some immunity. There's no proof that it causes allergies - just start slowly and keep an eye for any reaction!

hocuspontas Wed 29-Jul-09 11:31:14

jam
marmalade
egg
beans
marmite
honey

bamboobutton Wed 29-Jul-09 11:32:10

i'll try him with some tomorrow, with my finger poised over the 9 button on the phonegrin

norktasticninja Wed 29-Jul-09 11:32:22

If your paranoid the best thing to do is park up in the local hospital car park and feed him a peanut butter sandwich... smile

CybilLiberty Wed 29-Jul-09 11:33:01

peanut allergies are VERY rare

bamboobutton Wed 29-Jul-09 11:36:06

i know they are but there is still the little nagging voice in the back of my head.

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 29-Jul-09 11:50:38

Really really unlikely to have any reaction if there is no history. And even more unlikely for it to be anaphylactic.

StirlingTheStrong Wed 29-Jul-09 13:40:10

Check ingredients on Crunchy Nut pack - if they contain peanuts then he will be ok.

One thing I have learnt is that tree nuts and peanuts are in a different family so just because he has had nutella (which contains hazlenuts I believe, which are tree nuts) doesn't mean he will be ok with peanuts.

My youngest dd is allergic to nuts and peanuts but luckily she isn't anaphylatic but she does vomit immediatley and gets itchy and has a rash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now