Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My silicone muffin tray doesn't work!!!!

(18 Posts)
BiscuitStuffer Tue 28-Jul-09 15:15:49

What on earth am I doing wrong??

- lightly oiled directly in oven gives chewy stretchy muffins

- paper cases and then on a baking tray in the oven gives muffins that won't cook.

Please help me!

bronze Tue 28-Jul-09 15:16:32

mine was crap too
the muffins always stuck

franklymydear Tue 28-Jul-09 15:18:24

silicone muffin tins are crap IMO - have you got a normal tin?

BiscuitStuffer Tue 28-Jul-09 15:19:10

Can I put muffin mix in to normal cup cake trays???

franklymydear Tue 28-Jul-09 15:21:08

yes in paper cases and cook for 15 mins at 180 (if fan)

use veg oil instead of melted butter and don't overstir wet into dry

franklymydear Tue 28-Jul-09 15:21:30

that is if fairy cake sized

DollyPS Tue 28-Jul-09 15:22:48

Now I know not to buy these then LOL!!!!

BiscuitStuffer Tue 28-Jul-09 15:28:41

oh - what happens if you use butter?

franklymydear Tue 28-Jul-09 17:47:44

butter makes a heavier cake than veg oil (not an olive oil a simple light veg oil like sunflower is best)

BiscuitStuffer Wed 29-Jul-09 22:05:00

oh I never knew that - do you substitute weight for weight?

bran Wed 29-Jul-09 22:10:10

I use a silicone muffin tray and it works very well. You do need to let the muffins cool before removing from the tray or the fall apart.

I use recipes from Susan Reimer's book and I always use oil instead of butter. Her oat and yoghurt recipe is fabulous.

BiscuitStuffer Thu 30-Jul-09 19:52:59

oooh Bran - I have looked on-line but can't find that recipe - is there any chance at all that you would be able to post it if you have a mo?? Don't worry if not but it sounds exactly the kind I'm after!

Clayhead Thu 30-Jul-09 19:54:28

I bought mine from John Lewis about 18 months ago and it is fabulous - works fine! I use it loads too as the mini muffins are a great size for school snacks.

bran Thu 30-Jul-09 20:12:19

I'll post that recipe, but only if you promise to buy the book a) so that Susan Reimer doesn't loose out on her royalties and b) because all her recipes that I've tried are fabulous and I'm not going to type out the whole book for you. grin

bran Thu 30-Jul-09 20:27:38

7oz (200g) plain flour *
1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5ml) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) salt
3oz (85g) rolled oats
8 fl oz (240ml) plain yogurt
1 tsp (5ml) bicarb of soda
1 egg, beaten with a fork
4-5oz (110-140 ml) light brown soft sugar
3-4 fl oz (90-120 ml) milk
3 fl oz (90 ml) veg oil or 3 oz (85 g) butter, melted
3 oz (85 g) raisins or 5 oz (140 g) berries. If using frozen berries do not thaw; instead, bake the muffins for an extra few minutes

*with self-raising flower, omit baking powder; do not adjust bicarb of soda

1. Prepare muffin tins (actually I don't do this, I don't even oil them) Preheat oven to 375-400 F (190-200 C) for a convetional oven. Gas Mark 5-6

2. In a large bowl, sift together; flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

3. Do the following step just before baking: in a separate bowl stir together oats, yoghurt and bicarb of soda. Let this stand for a minute (it sort of froths up), then add beaten egg, sugar, milk and oil. Stir well.

4. Pour all of wet mixture into the dry. Stir until just combined, adding fruit during the final strokes. Batter will be lumpy but no dry flour should be visible. Do not over stir.

5. Spoon immediately into tins. Bake for 20-25 mins, until tops are lightly browned and spring back when pressed gently.

My own personal tip for not over-stirring is to use a clear pyrex bowl so that you can see when all the flour has been stirred in and to use a spatula so that you need fewer stirs to get the dry flour off the bottom of the bowl.

I really like this recipe with frozen blueberries, but it's also good with frozen raspberries and dark chocolate chips.

BiscuitStuffer Thu 30-Jul-09 21:22:02

That is fair enough

I have just bought a conventional mini muffin tin too - there doesn't look as if there is any room for any mix in the wells!!!!!

BiscuitStuffer Thu 30-Jul-09 21:25:19

oooh oooh, you've done it <jumps up and down with excitement>. Thank you!!

bran Thu 30-Jul-09 22:47:49

Wow, if you're this excited at just the recipe you're probably going to need some sort of tranquiliser when you actually taste them. grin

I make them with half wholemeal flour and the least amount of sugar in the recipe and they come out quite bready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now