Talk

Advanced search

Quick answer needed - what would be the next best thing to allspice berries?

(9 Posts)
MaybeAfterBreakfast Tue 28-Jul-09 13:24:30

Have started cooking a pork ribs recipe that requires allspice berries. We don't have any. What would do instead?

TheMoreItSnows Tue 28-Jul-09 13:46:39

Chinese five spice?

TheMoreItSnows Tue 28-Jul-09 13:47:06

Juniper berries, what else is in the recipe?

MaybeAfterBreakfast Tue 28-Jul-09 13:55:05

stage one they cook for hours with chopped spring onions, chicken stock and allspice berries.

stage 2 they're removed from the stock, smeared with a paste of chillies, garlic, ginger, limes, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, and more allspice berries (ground), and then roasted.

I'm at stage one. I threw in a star anise in the end - will that be a disaster? Has only been in the oven a few minutes. I could retrieve it and add something else.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 28-Jul-09 13:55:25

Have you got any star anise and some cloves? Is so I would grind a star anise, a couple of cloves and some black peppercorns in a pestle and mortar and use instead of.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 28-Jul-09 13:58:01

Cross posts. No, leave the star anise in. I'd throw a cinammon/cassia stick in as well for good measure.

One of my favourite recipes (for a curry incidentally) involves star anise, cloves and pepper ground together (other ingredients are poppy seeds and cumin incidentally), the flavour (and aroma) is delicious.

TheMoreItSnows Tue 28-Jul-09 13:59:58

No star anise will be fine, sounds delicious!
The chillies, garlic, ginger and lime etc will give you the real flavour, the allspice sounds like a 'nice to have' extra.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Tue 28-Jul-09 14:03:32

Brilliant, thank you. Will add cinnamon stick now.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 28-Jul-09 14:05:52

I am very hungry now and jealous of the dinner you will have later grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now