Talk

Advanced search

Ah!!!! I have lost the plot. Please give me an idiots guide to feeding a 20 month old

(6 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 27-Jul-09 21:55:37

Home made, shop brought, what, when, what consistancy, please help!!!!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 27-Jul-09 21:58:17

20 months?

Whatever you're eating (providing that's a good, varied, low salt diet)

Home made is obviously best as you know exactly what's gone into it.

Consistency wise they should be able to manage everything by now.

When? 3 meals a day with small snacks (ours have fruits) mid morning and mid afternoon. they both have milk morning and evening too (they're 3 and 1)

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 27-Jul-09 22:08:23

Thanks Iwish, can you give me more of the 'what'

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 27-Jul-09 22:17:01

At tea time our 2 eat fish, cooked dinners, gammon, pork steaks, faggots, lamb tagine, mild curry, any casserole, bolognese, mild chilli etc.

To go with those sort of things we have potatoes (new, mashed, roast, jacket, chips) rice, cous cous, pasta and veg. We have a lot of carrots, peas, sweetcorn, brocolli, cauliflower etc. Even our 13 month old loves to have a go at corn on the cob!!

Lunches are sandwiches and a bit of salad (cucumber, pepper, tomatoes - neither of them like lettuce), omlettes, beans or scrambled egg on toast, eggy bread with soup etc.

Breakfast tends to be cereal, but could be boiled egg and toast, crumpets or muffins.

We're not the most adventurous but we eat a fairly decent variety. I tend to cook in batches and freeze a couple of portions at a time whenever I can.

Sorry, I've just realised that I've done the day back to front!!

MerlinsBeard Mon 27-Jul-09 22:28:47

My 17 month old just has whatever we are having (or DS1&2 if we are not eating until later) chopped up in smaller pieces, he feeds himself as he eats better that way!

breakfast soonish after they get up lunch 12-1 ish tea 5 ish

sometimes snacks but not v often

Silver1 Wed 29-Jul-09 12:22:58

Breakfast
Toast and marmite-or babked beans-or scrambled eggs
Or
Porridge/weetabix/mix of both
Some fruit.

My 1yo doesn't really take to snacks that well.

Lunch pasta cheesy or bolognase/home made chunky soups/ cous cous/casseroles/ vegetables-peas corn (frozen or on the cob) cucumber-peppers-carrots-
fruit and yogurt

Dinner-
Similar dishes to lunch pastas casseroles fish
vegetables

and yougurt

LO will eat mild curries-loves coconut milk in his rice, humous-fish pie is often a huge hit.
Mash is popular, but all potatoes go down well.
Brocoli

To be honest at that age most childrens palletes can be maleable to eat anything. So now is the time to bung lots of texture and flavour into their food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now