Talk

Advanced search

Do lentils count towards your 5 a day?

(6 Posts)
Pennies Mon 27-Jul-09 21:07:56

Trying to get my intake up.

pushmepullyou Mon 27-Jul-09 21:10:42

yes, but pulses only count as one no matter how many different types you have. Same for mushrooms and dried fruit I think

Pennies Mon 27-Jul-09 21:14:07

Cool.

Surprised about that fact for dried fruit.

So, are you saying that if I ate a load of fresh mango and a load of grapes I'd have a had two portions, but if i eat dried mango and some raisins I've only had one. How does that work?

pushmepullyou Mon 27-Jul-09 22:25:55

I've just checked the 5 as day website and it doesn't mention anything about dried fruit only counting once, although it does say this for juice and beans/pulses.

Sure I've got an old 5 a day card that says that dried fruit contains less vitamins etc. due to the drying process so only counts once though. Although maybe that was a dream....hmm

BlueChampagne Wed 29-Jul-09 13:35:47

Someone told me cider counted too but maybe that was just a dream too grin

exchangeandmart Wed 29-Jul-09 17:36:50

Ha, wishful thinking on the cider! Do baked beans count? And if you ate other beans/pulses on the same day, would it still be one no matter what? Another thing I have always been curious about is about fruit juice; i love juice and find this a lot easier than eating fruit. My question is if I have a glass of orange and then apple does that count as 1 or 2? Thanks in advance :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now