Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian for dinner?

(11 Posts)
NigellaTufnel Mon 27-Jul-09 16:06:52

Having one over, not eating them...

We are having friends over for dinner at the weekend, one is a vegetarian so was wondering if anyone has any bright ideas what I could cook.

She is very easy going and nice so I don't think she will mind that I am a bit of a rubbish cook, but I need something straight forward.

so what should I cook? Or which cook is the best for veggies? I have the range of Delia, Jamie, and of course, Nigella.

ilovetiramisu Mon 27-Jul-09 16:12:35

depends what you're cooking for the meat eaters. Its always nice to be able to share starters and puddings then have something that works with the rest of the main course so they don't feel too different and you don't have to go to too much trouble cooking different side dishes etc.

randomtask Mon 27-Jul-09 16:14:30

I agree it depends what you're making for the others. I'm vegetarian and I tend to make (and be given) a veggie version of whatever the others have. For example, I have quorn 'meat' in place of normal meat. Or, I cook something that is a dish in itself then add meat for the others.

NigellaTufnel Mon 27-Jul-09 16:19:07

Interesting point about vegetarian version.

Is it nicer to do a veggie main course and perhaps a range of starters? Or vice versa?

Pudding is fine, of course.

Just want to make her feel welcome and not make a big deal out of having seperate stuff.

HensMum Mon 27-Jul-09 16:20:06

Check that your friend is happy to eat Quorn though. Some veggies don't like meat replacements.

What about risotto? I think Jamie has recipes for some - easy to make and easy to make quite special with nice ingredients.

KnickKnack Mon 27-Jul-09 16:21:26

what are the rest of you having for main course?

randomtask Mon 27-Jul-09 16:23:53

I'd do a veggie starter not main. I often feel like I've 'made' the others eat no meat. Saying that, with DH's best friends, I know they like veggie food so it's not such an issue.

Rose Elliot is the lady of veggie recipes but they're often a bit well, vegetable related. Roz Denny is also very good (even my Dad eats her stuff)!

janeite Mon 27-Jul-09 16:24:05

I'd avoid quorn.

It's worth thinking of something that is veggie to become the 'heart' of the meal, with meat on the side if needed.

Eg: risotto and a rocket salad, with chicken breasts if you need meat for the rest of you.

Thai veggie curry and rice; added chicken if required.

Nigella's Feast has a few veggie recipes: the mushroom stroganoff one looks particularly nice.

Chick pea tagine and cous cous plus lovely salads - you could always have some lamb for meat-eaters if you feel it's needed.

SpawnChorus Mon 27-Jul-09 16:24:28

Re: Quorn / fake meat - I think quite a few veggies aren't keen on it (although I love it personally!)

This porcini pasta sauce is absolutely delicious and very easy.

thighsmadeofcheddar Mon 27-Jul-09 16:43:51

Delia does a delicious mediterrean vege lasagne, definitely no meat required. I've served it for my meat obsessed family and they loved it. I can link if you like.

I think she also does some nice goats cheese and caramalised onions tarts which you could do for nibbles / starters - in her cheat book.

foofi Mon 27-Jul-09 16:50:13

Mushroom risotto works well because the mushrooms are quite 'meaty' in texture.

Some sort of tart (goats cheese and red onion for example) is quite easy to do - especially if you buy ready-made pastry! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now