Talk

Advanced search

Quick question - roast potatoes - vegetable oil or sunflower oil???

(39 Posts)
FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 14:39:16

It's all I have in - which is best?

thanks

notsoteenagemum Mon 27-Jul-09 14:49:54

What no Lard or Goose Fatshock

I'd probably use vegetable then.

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 15:10:52

no - they only had horrible cheap lard at Morrisons, and I've never found goose fat in our town in 7yrs of looking grin.

Shall use vegetable - hopefully have some of the beef fat to add to it later as well.

Thanks

LoveBuckets Mon 27-Jul-09 15:12:40

Either. Try shaking the boiled potatoes in their pan with a tablespoon of flour before putting them in to roast. Nice and fluffy-crispy outside.

Rubyrubyrubyislosing7lbs Mon 27-Jul-09 15:13:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 15:20:05

ahh Ruby - that's interesting - never thought to look for tins..........what it be with (ie meats/fish, beans/soups etc etc?)

I shall give them a good shake and add some flour as well.

thanks for the tips - got the (lovely) IL's over later - beef is already in the oven, but just starting to think about prepping the veg and potatoes ready and wondered best ways of doing it.

I'd like to live up to the expectations of a good "English" dinner grin

HolidaysQueen Mon 27-Jul-09 15:34:01

Horrible cheap lard is all you can get (there only isn't Taste the Difference lard because it isn't trendy, unlike goose fat!) and it makes much better roast potatoes than oils

I use lard for proper Sunday roasts for guests (unless they're veggies!) but otherwise use whatever oil to hand. Topping up with beef dripping is a very good idea!

MarthaFarquhar Mon 27-Jul-09 15:35:14

Another vote for lard. The cheapo stuff is all you need.

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 15:49:40

this was value lard - they were clean out of the normal stuff shock (almost out of beef roasts too - which is odd as I thought most people had their roasts on a Sunday grin).

May not be around much until tomorrow - got 6 of them descending on us in the next 20 minutes or so - eek

<<<<<<<<tries to remember Zimbabwean hosting culture and how to mix British and Zimbabwean without unintentionally offending anyone>>>>>>>>>

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 15:51:01

actually thinking about it - just as well I didn't get lard - it's pig fat isn't it? - and FIL doesn't eat Pork at all - that would have been a bit of a oops moment grin

OhBling Mon 27-Jul-09 15:51:43

FAQ - I am loving the preparation for the PILs tonight! grin

Technically, sunflower and vegetable are similar. I doubt either would matter - and should both be better than olive as they get hotter (having said that, I always use olive oil - I am a cheat that way!)

OhBling Mon 27-Jul-09 15:52:57

OOh - and on the culture thing - here's my hot Southern African tip (works across SA, Botswana, Zim, etc really) : when in doubt, offer food and drink. Basically, as long as the host is being appropriately hospitable - ie serving up loads of food - you're all good!

Good luck!

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 15:54:49

lol OhBling - this is a big occasion.

FIL has left Zimbabwe for the first time in his life for this trip - honestly - he's never even been over the border - he had to get his first ever passport for this trip!

It's the first time this group of Zim family have been together for nearly 10yrs (our wedding in Zim end of '99)!! It's his 3 eldest children, plus 5 of his grandchildren (he's got 8 in total) all together in the same place at the same time!

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 15:56:17

ahh now you see OhBling - we've got the added dimension of me being the wife of the eldest son, and a mother at that. You know the status of eldest sons/married woman with children etc in Zim - it's all terribly complicated. He's the 3rd born but the oldest son.

Like you say - if in doubt I'll just offer the food and drinks grin.

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 15:58:11

oh and also only the 2nd time FIL has met DS1 and 2, and the first time for meeting DS3!

OhBling Mon 27-Jul-09 16:04:11

Oh god, yes. This could be interesting. And it's your (or rather, DH's* house...)?

Is MIL with him too?

Food. Stick with food. Honestly, you can't go wrong. Preferably home made, obviously.

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 16:05:23

yes it's our/DH's house - no MIL - she passed away 8 months before I met DH sad

right they're here - gotta go

OhBling Mon 27-Jul-09 16:08:09

Good luck! It will be fun.

ilovetiramisu Mon 27-Jul-09 16:08:53

don't forget to put salt in the water when par-boiling your potatoes. Never understood why mine wouldn't work beforehand.

claireybee Mon 27-Jul-09 16:11:05

My IL's like warm milk with tea (tea with a saucer even if it's in a mug hmm). Milk served in a separate jug not put in the cup for them.

They also eat rice with a roast and have been known to ask me if I 'forgot' the rice when I served a roast without it.

Oh and MIL wanted African gravy not meat gravy (tomato and onion type sauce).

Hope it all goes well smile

OhBling Mon 27-Jul-09 16:44:08

I had forgotten about the double carbs. Good point.

FAQtothefuture Mon 27-Jul-09 22:42:37

well it all went well (the meal) - but I have been "subjected" to my first ever proper family "meeting" - ohbling - you probabl have some idea what I'm on about.......FIL, his 3 eldest children and their spouses...............omg we have just finished about 1/2hr ago - with a short break for dinner

<<<<<<<<<<quivers>>>>>>>>>>> grin

Mumcentreplus Mon 27-Jul-09 22:55:22

glad to hear you survived..grin

FAQtothefuture Tue 28-Jul-09 00:02:26

es I survived.........but I have to endure attend another one before FIL goes back to Zim later in the year - to "resolve issues raised at this one" (and believe me there were some major issues - all very "political" - both in terms of family politics and party politics).

Mumcentreplus Tue 28-Jul-09 01:05:42

lol..at least you have a few months to brace prepare yourself..grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now