Talk

Advanced search

Child friendly, i.e. not too spicy recipe for Fajitas?

(12 Posts)
HandbagAddiction Mon 27-Jul-09 12:34:51

Children are loving the idea of wraps, etc. but all the packet mixes you can buy look as though tye are far too spicy for my DDs.

Does anyone do the seasoning themselves from scratch and if so, would you be prepared to share?

littlelamb Mon 27-Jul-09 12:36:10

Yes, my dd loves fajitas. All we do is stir fry chicken, red peppers and onions, then smear the wraps with mayonnaise and fresh salsa- Tesco do one that isn't hot.

Tamarto Mon 27-Jul-09 12:37:13

Start off with pain chicken? or a bit of salt and pepper.

My DCs have no problem with the packet mixes but the do quite like spicy food, not that i'd class some of them as spicy, they are 5,7 and 10 if that helps.

thedolly Mon 27-Jul-09 13:01:36

Just stir fry the chicken and peppers together then transfer theirs to a small pan before you add spices to yours. Serve with cucumber, chopped tomates (salsa for the adults), sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and lettuce all on the side in little bowls so that they can 'make' the fajitas themselves with however much of each thing they like. We bring the pans with the chicken to the table and everyone helps themselves.

cornflakegirl Mon 27-Jul-09 13:27:49

We do raw veggies for fajitas. Chop up carrots, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes (or whatever) in their own little bowls, plus soured cream, salsa and grated cheese. Entirely inauthentic, but the kids like it.

StirlingTheStrong Mon 27-Jul-09 14:00:49

Old El Paso do 2 different powder mixes for Fajitas - one is the spicy one and the other is the Smoky One. We use the smoky one and the dc are fine with it.

If that is too much for your dc, then just fry the strips of chicken, peppers and red onions with a sprinkle of paprika over it and it will give it a nice smoky flavour without any heat.

jumpyjan Mon 27-Jul-09 14:01:28

On the Annabel Karmel website there is a recipe for Sweetcorn Quessidilias (sp?) and they are really delicious and not a spicy recipe. Think its under the quick and easy section on the recipies or just search for it.

HandbagAddiction Mon 27-Jul-09 17:15:35

Thanks everyone - really good ideas that I hadn't thought of at all. I feel inspired now..... grin

OhBling Mon 27-Jul-09 17:23:07

I don't even bother with the mixes or salsa - fry chicken and peppers and onion and garlic together, toss in some chopped tomatoe and then put into your wrap with the cheese/avo etc. Delicious and easy.

[for my and DH I'd add chilli but for non chilli eaters, I just leave it out]

MrsKitty Mon 27-Jul-09 17:38:14

I've used the 'Discovery' medium heat packet mix before and just stirred a dollop of yogurt into DS's portion (2yrs) to cool it down a bit more-he generally wolfs it down.

Friendlypizzaeater Mon 27-Jul-09 17:39:42

I add half the packet to DS's and take his out then add rest of packet for ours

HandbagAddiction Tue 28-Jul-09 08:39:21

I clearly haven;t been thinking 'out of the box' for this at all! There are so many good ideas here - liking the ones about adding yoghurt and using only half the mix.

So I know what's on the menu for us this weekend then.......... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now