Talk

Advanced search

how can I turn big bag of gooseberries into nice foodstuff?

(8 Posts)
Woooozle100 Sun 26-Jul-09 16:45:14

like flapjack crumble say? See - have looked through t'other threads before posting this ;)

ok with crumble bit. What do I do with the gooseberries? They don't look too appealing. What do they taste like anyway?

mollyroger Sun 26-Jul-09 16:46:53

oh! oh! Make goosebery fool...slurrplicious.

will find recipe, hang on

mollyroger Sun 26-Jul-09 16:48:01

1 lb (450g) Gooseberries
2 tablespoons Water
6-8 oz (175g-225g) Castor Sugar (depending on how sour the Gooseberries are)
1/2 pint (275ml) Double Cream

METHOD
Top and tail the gooseberries and put them in a small thick saucepan with 2 tablespoons of water and two tablespoons of sugar. Cover with lid and stand it in a roasting tin of water. Place it over a low heat and let it stew very gently for 45 minutes until the gooseberries are soft. Beat them to a pulp with a wooden spoon, sweeten them thoroughly and sieve them. The result should be fairly stiff and a pretty soft green. Whisk the cream to a firm snow, fold in the fruit pulp and chill before serving.

God I wish I had some...

Woooozle100 Sun 26-Jul-09 16:57:58

yumness! thank you mollyroger. Will have a bash and report back

mollyroger Sun 26-Jul-09 17:26:17

the fool also makes a lovely filling for a spong cake...or fairy buns.

inVlanderen Fri 31-Jul-09 19:16:00

Goosebery fool for any old fool...

Cook the gooseberries with a few spoonfuls of sugar in a shallow dish in the oven, c 30 mins, then blast them in the food processor with Greek yoghurt. Delicious.

MrsHappy Fri 31-Jul-09 19:19:52

If you take that recipe for fool and put it in the freezer you can make yummy ice cream. Just stir it with a fork after an hour, two hours and three hours and it should be smooth enough.

Montifer Fri 31-Jul-09 19:25:57

Ohh yes, goosegog ice cream, yum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now