Talk

Advanced search

rye bread

(8 Posts)
pointydog Fri 24-Jul-09 23:27:31

I made rye bread today and it was a fucking disaster. Inedible. Didn't seem to cook properly, stodgy and horrid in the middle. Where did I go wrong? Water, kneading, rising?

moondog Sat 25-Jul-09 06:32:41

I'm not a great or frequent bread maker but rye bread pretty heavy going at the best of times.A slower rise? Less flour?

frans Sat 25-Jul-09 07:08:13

I can't get it right. Only vaguely acceptable version I've found is something like 25% rye flour, 50% wholemeal flour and 25% white flour in the breadmaker. Hardly authentic though!

slng Sat 25-Jul-09 08:07:06

I did a sweet rye bread once and it was like a brick. DS2 loved it though and kept asking for the "black hard bread" ... Will look up my recipe when stop being in a huff with DS1 ...

slng Sat 25-Jul-09 08:37:51

OK - having only made rye bread once this is what I understand: you have to leave it to rise for a LONG time, 5 hours, my recipe says. Kneading seems to be minimal. Also have to leave it a day or two before slicing. Also my recipes call for fine rye flour. I sieved mine.

pointydog Sat 25-Jul-09 19:57:21

I bought special flour for this loaf, Heatherslaw rye flour, because I really like a rye loaf I buy in tesco.

The (Heatherslaw) recipe said to leave to rise at room temperature for an hour or so. 5 hours - wow. Must admit, it didn't rise much. And yes, it did say minimal kneading.

Ach, I won't bother to make it again.

slng Sun 26-Jul-09 10:13:49

Oh no! Don't give up! My recipe also requires Did you leave it a day or so before slicing? What will you do with the rest of the flour? I made gingerbread with it.

pointydog Sun 26-Jul-09 10:45:15

really - leave a day or two before slicing? I chucked it in the bin. It's gone. It's outta my life.

I only bought a 500g bag of flour so I used it all for the loaf. No more rye. Think I'll stick with flatbreads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now