Talk

Advanced search

I HAVE 1lb Raspbs - is that enough to make some jam?

(7 Posts)
mollyroger Fri 24-Jul-09 18:46:24

I have 1kg preserving sugar -and 1lb rasps.
Neer made jam -

I know that prserving sugar has pectin in so only need to boil for 5 mins - but other than that am clueless.
What do I do??

googling recipes all seem to involve huge quantities. I only want to make couple of jars today.

Wigeon Fri 24-Jul-09 19:18:45

Definitely enough. Nigella in Domestic Goddess has a recipe involving only 250g. Here it is (you can easily adjust it without very difficult maths!!):

250g raspberries
250g caster sugar

Preheat overn to 180 centigrade

Put raspberries and sugar in separate oven-proof bowls

Put both bowls in the oven for 20-25 mins until really hot

Take out of oven carefully and add sugar to raspberries

Pour into a very clean jar (you can sterilise with boiling water, or by taking it out of a dishwasher as soon as the dishwasher has ended).

Cover and cool.

I don't think you need to use special pectin sugar - some fruits need it and some don't. My other raspberry jam recipe is this:

Equal quantities raspberries and normal sugar.

Put raspberries in a pan and slowly bring to the boil.

Add sugar gradually and stir until dissolved

Bring to boil and boil hard for 3 mins, stiring constantly.

Cool slightly, pour into jars etc.

Good luck.

mollyroger Fri 24-Jul-09 19:39:51

thanks so much widgeon - jam cooling in jars as we speak.

Amazingly easy!

Wigeon Fri 24-Jul-09 21:16:03

Mmmm, enjoy delicious jam on toast tomorrow morning! It is alot easier than you think (might be runnier than shop-bought, but should be totally delicious).

mollyroger Fri 24-Jul-09 21:22:22

ah no widge - preservative sugar (from supermarket) with added pectin means every bit as 'firm' as shop bought

ihatethecold Sat 25-Jul-09 12:28:15

just add same weight in jam/preserving sugar as fruit

mollyroger Sun 26-Jul-09 17:38:45

I am now an acclaimed domestic goddess - and have royally pissed off my mum, as my first attempt was superb.(as my ds helpfully pointed out to her grin) She has been making jam for decades....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now