Talk

Advanced search

Please will someone help me feed my family?

(11 Posts)
smugmumofboys Thu 23-Jul-09 18:24:40

My two DSes are great eaters. They eat lots of veg and fruit BUT, they like very different things, so mealtimes are a night mare. (Oh and I don't eat meat which makes things even more interesting).

DS1 is nearly 7 and loves...
meat
roast potatoes
carrots
lots of veg in fact

hates...
pasta
sliced bread
baked beans
cheese
pizza
ham
omelettes
fish

DS2 is 5 and loves...
ham sandwiches
pizza
pasta
sausage rolls
cucumber

At the moment they both like, chicken, meatballs, bangers and mash and cottage pie.

Which is fine but feels so restrictive. Also, DS1's roast dinners can be a bit pricier to provide regularly.

Any other dishes you can suggest? I am a good cook and am happy to cook meat for the family.

Thanks.

They

smugmumofboys Thu 23-Jul-09 18:25:29

Oh I forgot to say that DH eats whatever is put in front of him. grin

janeite Thu 23-Jul-09 19:00:22

My girls like a big pan of roasted veggies (baby potatoes, parsnips, carrots, sweet potato, bn squash) with veggie sausages - has the 'feel' of a roast but cheaper and much, much easier.

smugmumofboys Thu 23-Jul-09 19:21:46

Thanks janeite, good suggestion.

CybilLiberty Thu 23-Jul-09 19:35:36

We've just demolished sausages with cous cous with red onion, garlic and cheery toms fried off in a pan. twas delish.

smugmumofboys Thu 23-Jul-09 19:38:33

'cheery toms' sound especially good.grin

CybilLiberty Thu 23-Jul-09 22:33:55

Yes they were very happy. grin

Washersaurus Thu 23-Jul-09 22:36:03

How do they feel about pies? You could make one with roast meat leftovers..

Frizbe Thu 23-Jul-09 22:36:49

Can you do Chicken Fahitas? they can decide if they want extras, such as cheese, sour cream, mushrooms, peppers etc, it always goes down well with our diverse 3 (and ss now eats everything as well and will clear up after the girls, who are still faddy!)

Washersaurus Thu 23-Jul-09 22:54:14

Toad and veg in the hole
Chilli and rice/wedges/baked potato
Some sort of curry (maybe with side dishes like bombay potato, daal, naan, that they can choose from)

smugmumofboys Fri 24-Jul-09 12:48:54

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

DS1 does like spicy stuff, DS2 less so. So if we do Mexican, DS1 will scoff for England whilst DS2 will eat plain rice, plain tortilla and some salad.

I think I need to start meal-planning in some detail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now