Talk

Advanced search

do you let your DC pick off your plate?

(16 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 22-Jul-09 19:57:09

Cant work out if I'm being fussy or not.

DD eats her tea at the childminders, and I'm fairly confident that she has had enough to eat. So when I come home and have tea, I cant work out whether I should let her eat off my plate or not. Part of me feels she has had enough to eat, the other part gives in just in case she is hungry.

So - what to do!

TheFallenMadonna Wed 22-Jul-09 20:02:31

One of my fondest memories is picking all the carrots off my grandad's plate in the evening.

saintmaybe Wed 22-Jul-09 20:05:53

Anyone who tries to pick off my plate gets a fork in the back of the hand.

MrsBadger Wed 22-Jul-09 20:08:51

if dd wants to eat I'll put something on her own plate, I don't think it's good for her (incipient) table manners to whine for scraps while other people are eating, iyswim

fwiw dd gets 'tea' at nursery at 3.30pm and def needs something more before bed

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 22-Jul-09 20:16:54

see, DD eats at 4:30 and has what I would consider for her a full meal. For example, today she had lasange, garlic bread and salad. The other day she had pasta and lentils. But come 5:30 when she's home with me and I'm having my tea, she's picking off my plate. Surely she cant be hungry? Esp as sometimes when I pick her up, she's telling the CM she's full and doesnt want to finish that last mouthful.
I dont want to send her to bed hungry, but I dont want to let her "beg" iyswim!

morningpaper Wed 22-Jul-09 20:19:08

Eating is a social thing - Why not make her a small plate of what you are eating so you can eat together? You can give her the more 'healthy' bits if you are worried about her over-eating.

bamboostalks Wed 22-Jul-09 20:19:16

I would never sit down and have a meal and expect a very small (under 5) child not to want some. That is very tempting for them. I would definitely plate her up some if you are going to do that. If you feel that she is just being piggy then I would eat later and not in front of her.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 22-Jul-09 20:21:46

I did give her a plate the other day, the cheeky madame didn't want it once on her own plate grin

morningpaper Wed 22-Jul-09 20:22:49

I think that's fine. If it is table manners you are concerned about then just let her sit and talk to you with her food in front of her - even if it's a plate of carrots.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 22-Jul-09 20:24:55

thanks all

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Wed 22-Jul-09 20:26:23

I would let her
but I'm not remotely worried about 'eating too much' when they are tiny and growing

and its probably a 'joining in with you' thing than anything else

notsoteenagemum Wed 22-Jul-09 20:28:36

I used to love it when my Dad worked late because we'd have supper while he'd have his tea.
What time does she go to bed? If mine ate at 4:30 they'd be hungry again before bedtime.

Doozle Wed 22-Jul-09 20:34:36

I would let her too. They are just being curious and anyway, other people's food always looks more tempting!

notsoteenagemum Wed 22-Jul-09 20:36:46

I used to love it when my Dad worked late because we'd have supper while he'd have his tea.
What time does she go to bed? If mine ate at 4:30 they'd be hungry again before bedtime.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 22-Jul-09 20:37:14

she goes to bed at 7:00 / 7:30
I offer fruit etc, but she's just more interested in my plate (although then does ask for an apple/crackers/stick of cheese etc).

My sister only ever used to eat off my dads plate, even if mum gave her exactly the same as dads dinner, odd child!

notsoteenagemum Wed 22-Jul-09 20:37:43

Oh bum! I didn't mean to do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now