Talk

Advanced search

Come and share your best cookery tip passed down to you or invented by you

(50 Posts)
mummyplonk Tue 21-Jul-09 19:22:26

Am sure there are some gems out there,

my 2

1/ Any curries you make with a jar of sauce add a big spoonful of Branston Pickle and it somehow makes it taste more authentic and less jar-i-fied.

2/ A-la Nigella, sprinkling semolina on chuffed up potatoes before roasting them really does make them taste bloody amazing.

HeadFairy Tue 21-Jul-09 19:23:53

Add a very finely chopped anchovy to a bolognaise sauce, you won't taste the anchovy, but it adds body (works in most casseroles and stews)

Stayingsunnygirl Tue 21-Jul-09 19:25:26

Another lovely roast potato recipe:

When you've parboiled the potatoes, add oil and a tablespoon (less or more depending on amount of potatoes and personal preference), shake well until potatoes are chuffed up and coated in the oil and marmite, then put in a hot pan and roast. Utterly delicious!!

mummyplonk Tue 21-Jul-09 19:30:35

ooh will try both of those headfairy & SSG

candyfluff Wed 22-Jul-09 14:30:56

paprika sprinlked on a chicken before roasting makes the skin so sweet and scrummy

notsoteenagemum Wed 22-Jul-09 14:44:30

nutmeg and hot milk in mashed potato

nutmeg in bechemel sauce

a square of dark chocolate or a spoonful of cocoa powder in chilli and beef or lamb stew

Gloria42 Wed 22-Jul-09 14:53:18

ground almonds in a homemade curry gives a gorgeous thick sauce

mummyplonk Wed 22-Jul-09 16:29:03

No way, choc/cocoa in stew?, thats so wacky I have got to try it grin

StirlingTheStrong Wed 22-Jul-09 17:30:58

candy - I have a seasoning mix for sprinkling over chicken before roasting and it contains, amongst other things, garlic granules, paprika, red and white pepper etc and the chicken is always lovely!

It is called Magic seasoning blend for poultry - bought it in Tescos.

StirlingTheStrong Wed 22-Jul-09 17:32:33

If I am making anything with a tomatoey sauce (chilli, pasta sauce etc) I add a couple tablespoons of sun dried tomato paste - It adds a lovely deep flavour.

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 17:34:38

chocolate is often added to chilli or other mexican stews, but it's got to be the really dark bitter variety.

My FIL puts a pinch of ground cinnamon in his mashed potato, along with lots of butter and cream. He also boils a clove of garlic in the same pan as the potatoes, and then removes it before mashing the pots. I've not tried doing it myself but his mash tastes divine!

TitsalinaBumsquash Wed 22-Jul-09 17:36:56

I put anchovys in loads of things, once its all melted down you don't taste it!

I have a block of Anchovy/Garlic/Chilli Butter in my freezer, i melt a knob of it over veggies and it gives them a whole new amazing taste! I urge you to try it. grin

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 17:38:08

ooh I like the idea of a block of anchovy/garlic/chilli butter in the freezer, what a great idea!

TitsalinaBumsquash Wed 22-Jul-09 17:41:09

You can do it with any flavours, just get some Butter and let it go ever so slightly soft then mix in half a chooped Chilli, half a clove of garlic and 1 chopped Anchovy then wrap it in a sausage shape in clingfilm and thats it.

I also do

Sage and Thyme

Cinnamon and Nutmeg (great for dotting on Crumbles and baked Apples)

Basil

Coriander and lemon (great for Fish)

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 17:46:55

such a good idea, can't think why I didn't realise it before!!

Once we're in our new house I'm going to be "buttering" our freezer!

mummyplonk Fri 24-Jul-09 14:17:40

Oh Yes, butter idea sounds great Bumsquash.

A resounding thumbs up from the Plonk household last night r.e aformentioned "Cocoa" in beef stew, was absolutely scrummy and rich.

BonsoirAnna Fri 24-Jul-09 14:18:57

Cook rice by boiling in a pan, then rinsing it well in a sieve under the hot water tap and put it in the oven to dry out.

midnightexpress Fri 24-Jul-09 14:23:33

A spoonful of Thai fish sauce is a good thing to add to pasta sauces - we do a nice one with tomatoes and mussels.

Tinned lentils make a great meat substtute in veggie lasagne.

Smoked dried chillis are delicious in chilli.

nannyL Fri 24-Jul-09 14:29:39

put a squirt of heinz tomatoe ketchup in bolognese / tomato-ey pasta sauces!

it makes such a difference!

Mumcentreplus Fri 24-Jul-09 14:44:57

Dash of Soya Sauce in Spag Bol/Pasta Sauces

Mumcentreplus Fri 24-Jul-09 14:51:06

Tasty Basmati Rice - in the pan fry a chopped garlic clove and 2 dried whole chillis in olive oil...just as the garlic browns add water and salt and bring to boil..add rice and cook then drain...lovely with curries

Mumcentreplus Fri 24-Jul-09 14:56:29

Mexican rice - can of Chilli Kidney beans add to pan,add water,salt to taste and knob of butter bring to boil and add rice ,cook and drain..perfect with Chilli

MorrisZapp Fri 24-Jul-09 15:54:59

Teaspoon of english mustard in cheese sauce, esp. macaroni cheese.

Crushed up crisps on top.

midnightexpress Fri 24-Jul-09 15:55:57

OOh I have one. Apples make lemons taste more lemony, so if you're making a tarte au citron (as you do), grate an apple into it.

TheProfiteroleThief Fri 24-Jul-09 15:58:50

Benyelin cough mixture makes a fab baste for roast chicken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now