Talk

Advanced search

Another slow cooker questions........browning on the hob

(8 Posts)
OrangeKnickers Tue 21-Jul-09 14:09:04

I have read lots about slow cookers on mn and am dead excited about getting one. I think I'd like one that I could brown meat on the hob with to save washing up. Could I do it with this one? As it says it's got a ceramic bowl?

here.

Am a cooking novice and feeling a bit thick.

grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 21-Jul-09 14:10:31

Use a frying pan to brown things before putting it in the slow cooker.

You don't need to brown things if you don't have time.

PestoSchoolsOutMonster Tue 21-Jul-09 14:14:46

Same as what FabBakersGirl said.

vonsudenfed Tue 21-Jul-09 14:15:56

But it does taste better if you do!

I brown meat in a frying pan even if I am cooking a stew on the hob - and then keep it on the heat and use a bit of wine or stock or even water to get all the lovely brown sticky bits out of your pan and into the stew. They're what give it a really meaty flavour.

OrangeKnickers Tue 21-Jul-09 14:58:10

I do want to brown things, but I know it's optional. I've read mners saying they can brown on the hob in the slow cooker pan. But I am not sure which one that is.

Does that make sense?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 21-Jul-09 18:08:07

Yes but you will probably need a certain hob as well as slow cooker that will do to do it.

Silver1 Wed 22-Jul-09 10:46:08

Orangeknickers I use the Crockpot Saute, I bought it in Costco, it is usable on all hobs-as well as the oven fridge etc, but it has higher heat settings so isn't quite as slow as the Morphy Richards, I probably couldn't/wouldn't leave anything in it for more than 6 hours-but it is useful when the LO is having a nap I can prepare supper and it's ready when I need it to be, tastes good and lets me be a bit more creative.

OrangeKnickers Thu 23-Jul-09 12:55:05

ah I see. I want to use it when I am at work, so I think I will just not be lazy and use the pan, as has been suggested! Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now