Talk

Advanced search

Chocolate Birthday Cake

(7 Posts)
wasgoingto Fri 20-May-05 19:08:44

Anyone got a good recipe or link please. MY DS's birthday party is on Monday and I need to bake him a choc cake - his request. Must be very easy - I am no Roux Brother.

Aero Fri 20-May-05 19:11:16

Put a call out for Cadbury - she makes the bestest chocolate cakes ever! I know cos she made one for my birthday on Monday and it was to die for!

KBear Fri 20-May-05 19:13:12

This is my failsafe recipe...

4 large eggs
8 oz SR Flour (replace 3 oz of Flour with cocoa powder for choc cake)
8 oz caster sugar
8 oz Flora
1 tsp baking powder

divide into two 8 inch tins - 30-40 mins at about 180.

Fill with buttercream and melt a bar of choc over the top and choc sprinkles!

Delish

Frizbe Fri 20-May-05 19:15:05

Just a normal choc cake, 3 eggs, 6oz self raising flour, 6oz caster sugar, 6ozmarg, lob it all in basin/mixer and mix, then lob into a cup 2 table spoons of coco (cadburys if poss) then water until its mixed into a goo, make it runny enough to pour into the mix and mix it all in, bake for 25mins in 1 or two tins, depending on whether you want the hassle of trying to cut a cake in half....

Then the best bit, the frosting!

1 x carton of cream cheese ie Philidelphia (or tescos own at 43p)
3 teaspoons of vanilla essence
Chuck it in a bowl, then sift in
3.5 cups of icing sugar
and sift in
Coco powder to desired colour/taste!
Mix it all up, put in middle of cake and all over outside, decorate with chocolate buttons!

I did it last weekend, none left over!

cadbury Fri 20-May-05 19:29:27

Panic over, I'm here!

My recipe is pretty simple.
Basic choclate sponge
4 oz marge
4 oz caster sugar
2 eggs
3 1/2 oz sr flour
1/2 oz cocoa powder.

(depending on the size of the tins, I might do this as 6oz of everything and 3 eggs)

Whisk the marge and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add beaten egg a bit at a time with a spoonful of sifted flour after each bit, then the rest of the flour. Turn into greased, lined (at the base) sandwich tins and bake for 20-25 mins until springy at the top in a 190 degree ovn (GM5).

Whilst thats cooking, make and cool the icing:
6 oz granualted sugar
6 fl oz evapourated milk
Heated together in a heavy based saucepan until boiling. Simmer for 5 mins then take off the heat and add 8 oz of plain chocolate broken up into squares. Stir until all mented and mixed in. Then add 3oz butter in little cubes and mix until all combined and smooth. Leave to cool but not in the fridge or it will go too hard. A few hours should get it to spreading consistency and you have to taste it every 20 mins or so, just to make sure its just right . sandwich and top the cakes with it and lock yourself in a quiet room with a fork. Buy a replacement cake later

Aero Fri 20-May-05 19:38:23

Thanks m'dear - I assure you, this one is devine, though I'm sure any of the others are too.

wasgoingto Fri 20-May-05 22:08:56

THANK YOU SO much I will report back on MOnday to let you know how I got on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now