Rice Krispies and other cereals

(10 Posts)
hangonaminute Sun 19-Jul-09 23:43:49

My DD (just one) loves eating Rice Krispies one by one off her tray. I didn't notice until yesterday that it says 'not suitable for under 36 months' on the packet. Why is this? will I be doing her serious damage by feeding her Rice Krispies?
Her other favourites are porridge and Wheatabix. Are these also bad for under 36months?
What other cereals can I give her safely? I read Shredded Wheat are popular with babies but they don't sell Shredded Wheat where I live.

zazen Mon 20-Jul-09 00:32:06

You might be better off feeding your DD some baby cereals hangonaminute - Hipp do a salt free cereal. Or baby rice. Or boiled plain rice without salt.

I know your DD's one, but they are very tiny still, and the salt in adult cereals can be very bad for them, especially if there is salt in the other foods she is eating.

This is s link to a story about a three month old who had too much salt in his diet - I know your DD is one, but I think there are lessons to be learned. salt in diet of baby story
Adult food is for adults, that includes Rice Crispies.

Babies need NO salt in their food. Baby formulated cereal (Hipp), porridge or boiled plain rice with NO ADDED salt is perfect up to two years, after which you can put a bit in if you like - though I see no need to if she's eating it as is.

I'd steer clear of any so called childrens' cereals until your DD's kidneys are a lot more mature TBH, HTH!

GrinnyPig Mon 20-Jul-09 00:57:45

I don't think the salt content in Rice Krispies is a problem, maybe it's more to do with the size. I've never seen this warning on a packet of cereal, but am willing to accept I may be a bit out of touch.

AitchTwoOh Mon 20-Jul-09 01:02:18

that story featured a child who died at three months because his parents were feeding him ready brek, zazen. i think that's quite a leap from this situation.

i'd assume it was a choking thing, myself.

AitchTwoOh Mon 20-Jul-09 01:03:57

actually... having read further it was ready brek and smash and instant gravy. at three months. jesus h christ.

MadEyeballsMoody Mon 20-Jul-09 01:07:40

I always thought baby cereals were another marketing exercise. DD at 18 months has weetabix and has now taken to nicking my Special K. She doesn't have that much of it because I'm usually shovelling it too quickly for her to get a look in but I didn't think there was any harm in it.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 20-Jul-09 01:08:24

OP I don't think you need to go with specific baby cereals. I'm pretty sure the salt content in Rice Krispies isn't a problem, especially if the rest of her diet is healthy. I have a horror of 'baby' cereals, they all taste awful!
Is the under 36 months definitely about the food? There aren't toys with small parts inside the box? <vaguely recalls the tat that used to come in cereal boxes in her childhood>

I can recommend Shredded Wheat, DS loves it and that is no added salt or sugar, just wheat.

mummypig Mon 20-Jul-09 02:03:19

OP I also think baby cereals are a gimmick. I don't especially like any packaged cereals as they do tend to have lots of added salt and sugar (see the regular Which? reports or the recent book by Felicity Lawrence). But I sometimes give ds3 (1yo) rice krispies mixed with other stuff such as porridge oats, raisins and chopped fresh apple. I don't think it's going to do him any real harm as long as we have a healthy diet overall. Most of our food is made from scratch so it's not like I'm giving him food with lots of added salt.

Fyi porridge is a great breakfast as it is low GI (releases energy slowly) and contains soluble fibre so helps the digestive system. I personally think it's much better than 'baby rice' because that's just ground up rice (usually white rice) so doesn't really have much nutritional benefit apart from added B vitamins.

daisydaisy75 Tue 19-May-15 17:09:20

These are some of my rice krispies creations. Lots of fun for kids and yummy treat. I glue them togethet with honey and put in fridge for 15 min. Then decorate with whatever I have atm. Like its simplicity.

MrNedSchneebly Thu 21-May-15 06:07:39

I agree baby cereals are a gimmick but I think regular cereal is too! I don't give my DC cereal due to all the sugar in them and I think there are just way better things to have for breakfast.

That said I'm sure Rice Krispies are just covering their backs with the 36 month thing and it's about choking or something. If you are happy with her diet and informed about your choices Bla bla then carry on with the Rice Krispies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now