Talk

Advanced search

help the courgettes have gone crazy - need help!

(13 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 17-Jul-09 19:49:23

so last year, first year of our allotment we planted 18 courgette plants - and harvested 37 kilos over the course of the summer, that's a lot of courgettes..blush.

So this year we cut back to a mere 12 plants. And in the 3 weeks we've been cropping so far... 34 kilos!!! shock. So far I have delivered a carrier bag full to both dd's school, to the hospital when I had a midwife appointment and to dh's work but dh has just appeared with another 3 carrier bags full!

They are sweet and lovely but one can only eat so many - so anyone have any great recipes, hopefully freezable (baby due in September so could be helpful). We'd like to attempt some char-grilled courgettes in oil so any recipes for that would be great. I keep seeing recipes for preserving courgettes that involve boiling them in vinegar and I think that doesn't sound great.

Also anyone in Bournemouth want to come and get some? smile.

Clayhead Fri 17-Jul-09 19:53:33

In the past, I have made huge vats of ratatouille, frozen it in smaller portions and then enjoyed it through the autumn smile

Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 17-Jul-09 19:55:05

already have kilos and kilos of ratatouille in the freezer from last weekend! but will probably make some more again no doubt.

MistyGee Fri 17-Jul-09 20:38:09

Annabel Karmel does a nice recipe for courgette and pea soup- freezable.
Really tasty and baby friendly, been making a lot for DS. Will see if i can find a link if not will post recipe.

littleomar Fri 17-Jul-09 20:42:26

don't make a courgette cake. it's as revolting as it sounds.

courgette and feta cheese fritters.
courgette soup from river cafe green (which freezes presumably)

MistyGee Fri 17-Jul-09 20:44:10

Courgette and Pea Souper
Makes 4 baby portions:
1/2 small onion
15g 1/2oz butter
50g/2oz courgette, trimmed and finely sliced
1 medium potato peeled and chopped
120 ml/4floz chicken or veg stock
25g/1oz frozen peas
Saute onion in butter til softened, add courgette, potato and stock.Bring to boil,cover anbd simmer for 12 mins, Add frozen peas, bring to boil, reduce heat and continue to cook for 4-5 mins. Puree.
I've not been accurate to the amounts in the recipe, just sort of guessed, but it always turns out well.
Hope that helps

ohhangon Fri 17-Jul-09 20:49:34

I've confused my winter squash this year and have far too many growing with only 2 courgette plants!Will label better next year...
We use this recipe a lot and mix it with penne pasta, serve it on ciabatta etc

Courgette 150g (but i make it up a bit depending on how many I've got and whether I want to freeze a batch down)
Unsalted butter - lots say 50 - 100g but I don't always use this much but it works well with lots of butter!
Garlic cloves 2
mint leaves handful or so
Parmesan (depends how many courgettes you use try 25 - 50g)

Cut courgette in half lengthways and then into 1cm pieces. Peel and chop garlic, chop mint and grate cheese.
Melt butter add courgettes and cook on really low heat for around 10-15 minutes keep checking though to and give occasional stirs. Cook until soft, add garlic and season stir and continue to cook, add more butter and the mint.

Sometimes we mash it up completely, sometimes just mash half. I like a squeeze of lemon on it and a sprinkling of chopped fresh chillies!

GardenersDelight Fri 17-Jul-09 21:50:50

I disagree about courgette cake both Nigellas and a chocolate one that I found on the web were yummy

meltedmarsbars Fri 17-Jul-09 22:15:08

Courgette cake is just like carrot cake but soggier and less orange!

Why on earth are you growing 12 courgette plants? I grow 3 each year - any more is a glut. I don't want to eat them every day. I put todays courgette in the risotto.

Courgette salad is v good: fry angled slices in olive oil till browned and pour over a strong lemony vinaigrette (not a bought one please!)

Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 17-Jul-09 22:34:11

I know, I know, didn't mean to plant so many but you grow a packet of seeds, you want different colours and shapes, next thing you know you have a pile of strong little plants just begging you to put them in the allotment so they can do their thang. I just can't resist a little plant with a sad face. blush grin

Tinkjon Sat 18-Jul-09 07:54:32

This isn't freezeable but by far my favourite thing to do with courgettes is to slice them length-wise then griddle them until charred. Then sprinkle them with salt and lemon juice and they are AMAZING

mothersmilk Sat 18-Jul-09 10:06:00

slice them length ways egg them and breadcrumb then fry in olive oil not the healthyest option but delicious

aussieinde Sat 18-Jul-09 15:36:53

This is mine and my charges favourite soup at the moment. You can freeze it. Zucchini and Basil Soup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now