Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I've never done any deep fat frying, always been too scared - any tips

(7 Posts)
iwantitnow Fri 17-Jul-09 15:48:33

I do loads of cooking but deep fat frying has always scared me. Its all that hot oil and I'm notoriously clumsy. Just read a great recipe in the Times for scotch eggs, would love to make them. What oil do you need for cooking -sunflower? Do you have to throw the vast quantity of oil out after one fry or can you reuse? I would prefer to use a pan than buy a deep fat fryer - I have so much kitchen equipment and a small kitchen or what I be safer with a fryer? What do you cook - other than chips in your fryer?

LadyOfWaffle Fri 17-Jul-09 15:51:14

Get a proper fryer if you do it. We had a chip pan (saucepan with colinder type net thing) and just from nowhere it went up in flames. DH is used to these also... Seriously, they are not worth the risk! Luckily someone (grin) was quick thinking and threw a bath towel into a full sink then over the flames , but it was very scary shock

christmasmum Fri 17-Jul-09 15:55:45

I use my wok as a deep fat fryer and always keep the oil to use again if possible (you can strain it and keep it for as long as it doesn't smell I think). You can also buy a little wire basket type thing from chinese supermarkets that you can use to lower stuff in and out of the oil which is really handy but not vital if you have a slotted spoon!

I use this to cook things like spring rolls, prawn crackers, haggis balls (don't ask), tempura stuff etc

My top tip though is to remember very carefully that if you take things out of the freezer and they're covered in ice crystals, don't just chuck them straight in the hot oil. That would be very very silly indeed blush

PrefetParfait Fri 17-Jul-09 15:56:06

Definately get a thermostate controlled deep fat fryer. A hob based pan is just not worth the safety risks

Use Veg or Sunflower oil for frying

If you make you own chips you will get the nest results with Maris Pipers. Wash the starch off by rinsing in water so they don't stick together - but dry in a clean teatowel before frying. Then part cook when you start to cook your meal. Lift out before they brown. Then just drop them back intoteh hot oil 3mins before you serve to end up with lovely fluffy on the inside crispy on the outside chips (I miss my proper chips...oven chips are just not the same).

sarahpea Fri 17-Jul-09 16:15:22

i use my deep fat fryer for our indian nights for makin poppadoms, onion bhajis, samsosas etc, i hate the smell tho so we use ours in the garage, we get funny looks from passers by tho!

sarahpea Fri 17-Jul-09 16:16:53

also great for anything in breadcrumbs, breaded garlic mushrooms and scampi are just not the same in the oven

CharlotteVV Wed 22-Jul-09 10:39:46

Hiya,

I use my wok to fry in too, but I only fill it about half the way up. If you are a little nervous and concerned about safety then a deep fat fryer is best! The oil doesn't actually have to be really deep, just enough so that whatever you are frying can move freely within it.......

I also use Rapeseed oil, preferably the cold pressed stuff, which retains its goodness and has a high burn temperature so its ideal for this kind of cooking. I've tried a couple of brands and I quite like the one from Hillfarm Oils. It apparently has lots more vitamin C and Omega 3 than Olive oil and it has half the saturated fat too. Most veg oil is rapeseed but it isn't the cold pressed stuff. If you are concerned about the healthy option then I would recommend going for the cold-pressed extra virgin version - every little change helps! You can get it from Sainsbury's & Waitrose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now