Talk

Advanced search

Dishes to persuade me I like blue cheese?

(27 Posts)
Gloria42 Fri 17-Jul-09 12:17:00

My Gran (who likes to give me the occasional food parcel smile) has given me a pack of St Agur, but I have no idea what to do with it.
Generally speaking I LOVE cheese, but blue has never really been my thing. Seems a shame to waste it though so if you can suggest anything that might change my mind, I'd be very grateful

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Fri 17-Jul-09 12:22:04

I'm afraid there's no such thing; blue cheese is satan's vomit and should be binned immediately.
wink

dandycandyjellybean Fri 17-Jul-09 12:26:25

my dh hates blue cheese except this pasta dish that i make:

2 mild onions sliced
couple cloves garlic chopped
200g ish of sliced button mushrooms
pack of blue cheese
small pot of natural full fat yog (live or greek is fine)
grated cheddar about 300g ish

fry sliced onions over a very high flame, keep them moving all the time so that they take on a light brown colour but don't burn.

At that point turn heat down and sweat the garlic in with them for a few minutes. Then add the sliced mushrooms and stir well.

Cover the pan and let it all sweat for about 15 mins, till the liquid has come out of them mushrooms. Use this time to boil some penne pasta (enough to serve about 4 people).

Add the blue cheese (broken into chunks) to the onions/mushrooms and cover and leave to melt.

Stir the yog into the mix, add lots of freshly ground pepper and 1/2 the cheddar. (i also add spinach at this stage sometimes).

Stir into the pasta, then transfer to a baking dish, top with the rest of the cheddar and bake until golden and bubbling.

Serve with a big salad and some plain french bread to mop up the juices.

thereistheball Fri 17-Jul-09 13:15:06

Blue cheese goes very well with crispy bacon, garlic-fried mushrooms and avocado in a spinach and red onion salad. Or you could try it over beef, melted either onto a steak or a burger. Or into a large field mushroom instead of the burger. Or have it gratinated with leeks as a side dish for beef. Though if you were starting from an empty cheeseboard, I'd say try to find some Morbier which is a mild French blue of extreme deliciousness.

StirlingTheStrong Fri 17-Jul-09 13:40:35

Same as thereistheball - If you like steak, it is nice as a topping. Put a couple of spoonfuls of butter in a small dish and add some of the blue cheese and mix it up. Put it in the fridge till you need it. Once steak is cooked, put a scoop of this on top and let it melt a bit.

I never used to like blue cheese but now can't get enough.

thighsmadeofcheddar Fri 17-Jul-09 13:48:44

You can crumble some into mince to make delicious burgers for the bbq.
With an egg, spring onions and splash of worcester.

Cies Fri 17-Jul-09 13:55:50

I like to make a blue cheese dip. Mix your cheese with natural yoghurt and a bit of milk to get the right consistency. Use carrot sticks, chicory leaves, bread sticks etc to dip.

Also it's great in broccoli and blue cheese soup.

Gloria42 Fri 17-Jul-09 14:01:46

Lol at "satan's vomit" grin!!!!

Gloria42 Fri 17-Jul-09 14:03:26

I like the idea of mixing it in burgers, think that would take away some of the "cheesie-ness" IYSWIM?

EffieGadsby Fri 17-Jul-09 14:16:46

St Agur is not a crumbly blue cheese, mind - it's got more of a paste consistency. It's quite mild anyway, so it won't offend you too much with it's cheesiness. Sometimes with St Agur, I like to saute some sliced mushrooms with a tiny bit of garlic, boil up some pasta, and mix the mushies, pasta, cheese and maybe some herbs together. Yummmmmmmmmmm.

slug Fri 17-Jul-09 15:05:42

Mmmm, blue cheese in burgers....Drool....

steamedtreaclesponge Fri 17-Jul-09 15:16:18

My favourite blue cheese recipe is a pink pasta sauce - you just melt the blue cheese together with port and cream, pour over spaghetti and top with finely chopped walnuts. Scrummy, and very pink!

HenriettaJones Fri 17-Jul-09 15:24:20

Blue cheese is definitely satan's vomit when eaten on its own!

But I have had it in things and found it very delicious! I love the sound of the burgers (though they'd have to be veggie for me!)

I have used gorgonzola in macaroni cheese and also in souffle, the macaroni cheese came out a bit too strong for me but the souffle was delicious.

This recipe was given to me by a lovely French cook who was called Mrs Dieu (Mrs God!) so maybe the antidote to satan?!

3 eggs, separated
60g flour
50g butter
125g satan's vomit
half a pint milk

make a white sauce with the butter flour and milk, season and add a bit of nutmeg. When the sauce is cold add the egg yolks and the cheese and crush in with a fork. Then whisk the egg white and carefully fold in.

Butter a souffle dish and pour in the mixture, bake for 30mins at 190 degrees.

Tinkjon Sat 18-Jul-09 07:50:34

Blue cheese is much milder once cooked in any form. Brocolli, Stilton & walnut soup is one of our faves!

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Mon 20-Jul-09 15:41:30

It's even the horned one's vomit when it's cooked. I'd heard that stilton and brocolli soup would be lovely so I tried it - it wasnt it was horrid and made me want to scrape the top layer off my tongue and rush into the kitchen and batter (no pun) the chef. YUK YUK YUK

bubblagirl Mon 20-Jul-09 15:53:52

i eat that cheese with parma ham and crumble cheese on large mushroom and bake in oven but i love blue cheese and this cheese is creamy too so i eat on its own i love it lol

BodenGroupie Mon 20-Jul-09 18:45:04

Twice baked blue cheese souffle - I think there's a Delia recipe but I usually do an ancient GH one. Very easy - will post later if anyone's interested.

Mercy Mon 20-Jul-09 18:55:16

Not sure about the cheese you've got but Nigel SLater's pasta with dolcelatte or gorgonzola with pasta and fresh spinach is very nice (also very rich)

I think he has a recipe with gnocchi as well

LilRedWG Mon 20-Jul-09 18:57:07

The only way you will get blue down me is in a nice brocolli and stilton soup. Yum!

CharlotteVV Tue 21-Jul-09 11:52:30

If you are a bit squeamish about blue cheese then perhaps start with one of the milder ones, like Dolcelatte which doesn't have as strong a flavour as the harder blue cheeses like Stilton. Also try the cheese mixed in with another strong flavour like Broccoli - Broccoli & Stilton Soup. This has a lovely savoury flavour and the cheese is not overpowering at all.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broccoli-and-Stilton-Soup/Detail.aspx

You could also try blue cheese with red meat, as well as tossing some of the Dolcelatte into a peppery salad with bacon/mushrooms/panchetta (whatever you like) and croutons. Dolcelatte goes great with potatoes too so you could try it as a topping for Jacket potatoes......I found this recipe on this potato website, which is for a Lamb, Stilton & Potato pie, its one for the weekend when you have time but well worth the effort:

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/lamb-stilton-and-potato-pie/

Blue Cheese also works great in pasta dishes like Gnocchi, again you could go for the milder Dolcelatte rather than a full on Stilton.

Trikken Tue 21-Jul-09 12:09:36

stilton and sausage pie is gorgeous too. Mil makes the best one ever!

Sunshinemummy Tue 21-Jul-09 12:44:12

I love blue cheese and St Agur is a fave.

I make a salad dressing with it mixed into cream, olive oil, sherry vinegar and black pepper on a spinach, avocado and bacon salad.

As others said it's great stirred into pasta or gnocchi. It's also nice mixed with chopped mushroom and salami and stuffed into the middle of a chicken breast which you then pan roast.

cheesesarnie Tue 21-Jul-09 12:46:58

i try to make dishes with blue cheese but cant as i will eat a whole block of it in one sitting before deciding what to make.its my treat foodgrin

cheesesarnie Tue 21-Jul-09 12:48:16

god my mouths watering!and i cant get any as dh away,ds has swine flu.boo hoo.i must hide this thread.or do you think it would be unreasonable to phone someone just to get them to get me some?grin

Overmydeadbody Tue 21-Jul-09 12:59:30

I like to add it to homemade pizzas

Or use it to make gorgeous cheese on toast with irish soad bread

Or toast some crumpets, add blue cheese and grill it, then top it with grilled bacon <<drooooool>>

I also mix it into cheesy mash to serve with sausages and salad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now