Talk

Advanced search

What's the best way for me to cook Cabbage??

(17 Posts)
mosschops30 Fri 17-Jul-09 11:27:52

I have a nice savoy cabbage to cook as part of my iron-fest week grin
I dont normally cook it, although I love it. So what can I do with it??

p.s. I dont have a steamer

but I do have:
jar of beetroot
bacon
potatoes
onions
(thats about it, tis end of the week)

mosschops30 Fri 17-Jul-09 11:40:31

oh I know its not the most exciting topic, maybe I could add 'and I have swine flu' to the title grin
please give me some suggestions, am starving

fluffyanimal Fri 17-Jul-09 11:42:25

Shred, stir fry quickly in butter with onions and crispy bacon bits.

Never ever boil a cabbage.

Hope swine flu clears up soon.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 17-Jul-09 11:43:02

Swine flu cabbage:

Slice cabbage, boil in salted water for about 3-4 minutes, till just tender, and then drain

Melt a good lump of butter in the pan and add a finely sliced onion and a couple of chopped rashers of bacon. Season with black pepper.

Tip cabbage back into pan and mix with the onions and bacon, turn heat down and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

Also nice if you have a lemon, to add the juice to the onions and bacon before you add the cabbage.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Fri 17-Jul-09 11:44:56

agree with fluffy dont boil it, shred and stir-fry. It's very quick and won't leave your kitchen stinking of cabbage for days afterwards.

mosschops30 Fri 17-Jul-09 11:45:34

lol fluffy I dont have swine flu (yet) but at least I thought i might get a few posts grin
why not ever boil a cabbage??

Sounds nice, so I can fry some onions and bacon, then add the cabbage, swill it round and hey presto? Is it that easy?

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 17-Jul-09 11:47:39

The only times a kitchen will smell of cabbage are:

a) if it's boiled to death
b) if it's not fresh

Otherwise no issue with boiling it.

Stir frying also good, just different!

(sesame oil is very good if you're stir frying it)

fluffyanimal Fri 17-Jul-09 11:47:47

So long as you shred it really finely, it won't need boiling. IMVHO boiling cabbage makes it too soggy and just enhances that awful school-dinner smell/taste. Such a wonderful vegetable, so easy to ruin completely. See also brussels sprouts.

Sunshinemummy Fri 17-Jul-09 11:49:05

Shame you don't have more ingreidents as I like to shred mine then fry quickly with some onions until it all starts to go a little brown. Then I turn down heat and add a mix of butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, wholegrain mustard and white wine vinegar to pan. Leave for about 10 mins for all flavours to mingle.

mosschops30 Fri 17-Jul-09 11:50:20

blush I always boil and simmer my sprouts.

Will it still be nice a soft if I stir fry it??
Do I need to take off the outer leaves, or is it all ok as long as its washed?

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 17-Jul-09 11:51:10

Outer leaves can be a little tough.

mosschops30 Fri 17-Jul-09 11:51:24

have got dijon mustard, will that do??

Cies Fri 17-Jul-09 11:56:31

I like it shredded finely and in a salad with grated carrot, apple, some walnuts and raisins. dress with a vinegary dressing.

mosschops30 Fri 17-Jul-09 13:15:24

OMG that was the best lunch Ive had in ages smile
fried the bacon and onions in butter, added the cabbage and a spoonful of dijon mustard and hey presto, am a little bit blush that I ate the whole lot though

JohnDory Fri 17-Jul-09 13:16:36

yes stir fryinh
plain
sunflwoer oil
NOT olive

meltedmarsbars Fri 17-Jul-09 22:21:38

Czech way:

Fry bacon and onion (both finely chopped) add shredded cabbage, pinch carraway seed, put lid on and leave in slow oven 1 hour. This is a winter dish - how come you've got savoy ready now? mine haven't hearted yet - we're eating white summer cabbage.

Tinkjon Sat 18-Jul-09 07:56:05

Cook with tarragon & creme fraiche - it;s the only way I'll eat cabbage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now