Talk

Advanced search

Need a cake recipe for a BIG cake pan please

(8 Posts)
Washersaurus Thu 16-Jul-09 14:41:41

DS1 wants a number 4 shaped cake (with dinosaurs on) so I have a 34x23cm/13.5x9inch deep rectangular cake pan at the ready.

His birthday is on Sunday so I have a couple of days to perfect it. I am planning on covering in green butter cream and sticking plastic dino's on top - will this work? Should I just put jam in the middle?

Will my pan make a cake deep enough to cut in half and spread some jam on?

I have never baked a cake this big before, so I would be really grateful if someone could offer some advice re: quantities etc.

Washersaurus Thu 16-Jul-09 14:46:23

I have my eye on on this vanilla cake recipe or should I stick to something more basic?

Washersaurus Thu 16-Jul-09 15:05:49

Where are all the cake experts when you need them eh? grin

dizzydixies Fri 17-Jul-09 10:14:59

washersaurus, I was just coming on to link you to the vanilla cake recipe! it hasn't let me down yet and its FAB and easy to make

Washersaurus Fri 17-Jul-09 15:20:31

What would I need to with quantities dizzy? Would I get away with making 2 cakes and baking them in my large tin and then sticking them together with jam?

Washersaurus Fri 17-Jul-09 15:21:20

Most importantly will I be able to cut it into the shape of a number 4, or should I stick to Madeira cake?

dizzydixies Fri 17-Jul-09 21:10:57

oh if its cutting you want then Nigella has a buttermilk cake recipe thats meant to be very good for that smile

Washersaurus Sat 18-Jul-09 23:23:36

I wasn't sure about Nigella as there seemed to mixed reviews, so I went ahead and made 2 madeira cakes using regular quantities and baked at 170 deg for 25 mins. I have stuck them together with strawb jam and have carved the cake into a number 4. I will butter cream ice it tomorrow and decorate with dinosaurs.

I have sampled the offcuts and it is very tasty indeed grin

I have filed the vanilla cake recipe for future reference. Thanks ever so much for you help. I may post a pic of the finished cake if it turns out OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now