Talk

Advanced search

Typical - bloody butterfly cakes have no peaks

(9 Posts)
fruitstick Thu 16-Jul-09 10:00:52

For goodness sake. Am trying to make butterfly cakes and for the first time ever my fairy cakes have risen into perfectly uniform domes. Not a peak in sight!

I've already made the butter icing. What to do, what to do.....

Greensleeves Thu 16-Jul-09 10:02:12

buy mini jaffa cakes

turn upside down

cut in half and use as wings?

fruitstick Thu 16-Jul-09 10:03:34

genius! but haven't got time to go to the shops. Don't keep a stash of mini jaffa cakes

Greensleeves Thu 16-Jul-09 10:04:30

make some little biscuits and cut up while still warm?

pointydog Thu 16-Jul-09 10:11:46

I don't really undertand the problem. SLice the top off, dollop on icing, stick in two slices of the top. Why wouldn't it still work?

ButterbeerAndLemon Thu 16-Jul-09 10:13:20

Cut a cone out of the top (so down into the body of the cake) and just put plenty of butter icing in to hide the size of the hole.

Or eat this batch and make another, with an extra teaspoon of baking powder to bully them into rising.

BarbaraWoodlouse Thu 16-Jul-09 10:15:47

Agree with Butterbeer, cut a cone shaped hole into the cake and fill hole with buttercream.

TBH that's how I thought they were always done - perhaps there was less baking powder about in the 1980's when I was consuming said items!

pointydog Thu 16-Jul-09 10:18:51

I never get fairy cakes to rise into a peak and I can still make butterlfy cakes.

fruitstick Thu 16-Jul-09 10:41:38

I did put extra baking powder in and it made no difference.

I have cut a cone out of the middle as suggested and, if I'm honest, they look much better than usual grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now