Talk

Advanced search

atkins recipes.

(29 Posts)
Tortington Wed 15-Jul-09 00:05:10

hi, i know i know - i have done a search though and nothing concrete comes up rather people going on about how constipated they got and how such and such diet is better etc.

day 2 for me. i need to lose 2 stone desperately. i have done it before and i know it works.

however i need recipes please. tonight i made meatballs which were shit - and then i made cinnamon merangue things to snack on - again a bit shit.

i am not a fish fan - i only like cod and tuna - tuna has to be cold.

i hate ham

but i would really like simple effective recipes please.

please

please

noddyholder Wed 15-Jul-09 06:50:39

It is the only way for me to lose weight too.have been back eating carbs and I am like an addict with them 1 packet of crisps is never enough! I lived on chicken fillets green beans and garlic mayo for dinner and usually scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast.I have a book and will look at it later and post some as I did it seriously for ages and did find some nice stuff.

noddyholder Wed 15-Jul-09 06:51:20

Drink gallons of water and green tea and no constipation or smelly breath

Tortington Wed 15-Jul-09 07:42:47

yay cheers noddy

any recipes greatly recieved everyone

noddyholder Wed 15-Jul-09 08:17:14

You have inspired me Just had scrambled eggs no toast need to start again!I feel better on it too although I do drink wine after 2 weeks and a bit of fruit

Tortington Wed 15-Jul-09 16:54:07

any recipes anyone?

meep Wed 15-Jul-09 17:00:37

when I did it I used to fry up some mushrooms in butter then add some cream and pour over a steak/chicken fillet - mmmmmmmm

BalloonSlayer Wed 15-Jul-09 17:10:38

Not exactly Atkins or a recipe but I have been enjoying lean bacon, mushrooms and scrambled egg for quite a lot of lunches lately. It's filling!

BalloonSlayer Wed 15-Jul-09 17:11:28

Oh sorry you hate ham, expect you hate bacon too then grin

Joolsiam Wed 15-Jul-09 17:23:28

Shepherds pie with mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potato. Cheese grilled on top - makes you feel like you are eating a "normal" meal and is surprisingly nice

Tortington Wed 15-Jul-09 17:35:41

i lurve bacon - but on a butty grin

jools - perfecto exactly what i am looking for

have you a full recipe? i really am a terible cook - i woldn't want to just put some mince under mashed cauli

Joolsiam Wed 15-Jul-09 17:41:05

Sadly I'm not the cook - DP is grin

I'll see if I can find one, but seem to remember it being an Anthony Worral Thompson recipe - may be online somewhere ?

Tortington Wed 15-Jul-09 17:41:47

thanks will have a look

Tortington Wed 15-Jul-09 17:46:34

ta da

1.5 lbs. ground chuck
1.5 cups frozen french cut green beans
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 T. butter
1/8 cup heavy cream

Direction:

Make mashed fauxtato topping by boiling cauliflower until soft. Drain thoroughly, then add butter, desired seasonings and heavy cream. Whip until they become a "mashed potato-like" consistency. Fry ground beef in a pan until done. Drain off grease and set aside. Cook green beans until tender. Layer green beans at the bottom of a small casserole dish. Next add ground beef, covering the green beans. Top with whipped cauliflower. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Tortington Wed 15-Jul-09 17:47:27

can i use olive oil at all?

i used it yesterday and it just occured to me that perhaps i am not allowed to

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 15-Jul-09 17:53:02

Yes - no problem with any fat!

I made shepherds pie last night, but had mashed swede instead of potato.

This is what I did:

500g beef mince
2 medium onions
4 carrots (you could leave these out if you're being uber strict)
1 Oxo cube
soy sauce
worcestershire sauce

Fry onions and carrots in oil till onions are softened, then add mince and brown

Add Oxo cube and enough water to cover the meat and veg

Turn down heat and simmer for at least half an hour (I cooked mine for 10 minutes on high in the pressure cooker)

Add a dash of soy/worcestershire sauce and then continue cooking till the liquid has all but gone (or until it's as wet as you like it).

Whilst it's cooking, peel and chop a swede into cubes.

Boil for 20-25 minutes until tender, then add a large knob of butter and season with salt/pepper, then mash. You can use a hand masher - I used one of those hand blenders to get an extra smooth texture.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 15-Jul-09 17:54:48

Belly pork is another good meat during Atkins, as it's a fatty cut.

I have a lovely recipe:

Tung Po Pork

Serves 6 as part of a Chinese meal or 3 as a single dish

900g-1.1kg/2-2½ lbs pork
3 tablespoons peanut oil
6 spring onions
6 fresh ginger root slices
125g/4oz rock sugar crushed, or 4 tablespoons sugar
125ml/4fl oz dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
125ml/4fl oz rice wine or dry sherry
125ml/4fl oz water

Blanch the pork in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and blot dry thoroughly with kitchen paper

Heat a wok or large frying pan until hot. Add the oil, turn down the heat, add the pork, skin side down. Slowly brown the skin until it is golden and crispy. This should take 10-15 minutes. Remove the meat and wipe off any excess fat with kitchen paper.

Cut the onions into 7.5 cm/3 inch pieces. In a large, heavy casserole pot, combine the onions, ginger, sugar, soy sauces, rice wine or sherry, water and meat together. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover tightly and cook slowly over a low heat for 3 hours or until the pork is very tender and much of the fat is rendered.

Drain off the liquid, remove the onions and ginger. Skim off any surface fat. Cut the pork into thin slices, arrange on a platter, pour the sauce over and serve.

(From Ken Hom “The Taste of China”.)

I substitute granulated Splenda for sugar and it works fine.

Tortington Wed 15-Jul-09 17:55:01

biwi - that sounds delish - omg i'm so hungry,

pork chops tonight - with cheese on top

and celery

any pork chop recipes?

Tortington Wed 15-Jul-09 17:56:23

omg can i eat peanut butter?

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 15-Jul-09 17:56:35

And another staple - chicken breast wrapped in parma ham.

Easy - two slices parma ham per chicken breast. Lay the ham flat, put the chicken in the middle of it and season with salt, pepper and dried herbs of your choice. Add a thick slice of mozzarella. Wrap the ham round the chicken and then put into an oven baking tray with the seam side down. Drizzle with a little olive oil and some lemon juice.

Bake at 200 for around 20 minutes.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 15-Jul-09 17:59:30

Peanut butter - probably not, but I think this might depend on the brand. They do use sugar in it. I have a jar of Sunpat and the carbs per 100g is over 15g, which is quite hefty.

Pork chops I just fry. Season them well, and sprinkle with dried oregano, then fry till nicely browned and cooked. Trick is not to overcook them so that they don't dry out and go tough. Probably fry for no more than 3-4 minutes on each side?

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 15-Jul-09 18:00:51

And another trick - if I'm making spag bol for the family, I substitute finely sliced, boiled white cabbage for the pasta for me.

If you make sure that you cook the cabbage till it's really soft it is a really good carrier for the bolognese sauce. And, it being Atkins, you can add plenty of Parmesan!

bunjies Wed 15-Jul-09 18:20:07

You can get no added sugar peanut butter? Whole Earth brand and also I think Sainsbo's organic one. Just go easy on it as it can cause stalls.

For breakfast I usually have mixed berried with a couple of good dollops of extra rich creme fraiche. Low in carbs and absolutely delish during the warmer months.

How about a tuna nicoise style salad? Tinned tuna & hard boiled eggs mixed with salad leaves, olives, cherry toms, cucumber and a lovely olive oil dressing. Maybe add some walnuts and mix with a walnut oil dressing.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 15-Jul-09 18:24:08

A nice lunch or filling breakfast:

2 hard boiled eggs, halved lengthways
Put them cut surface up into an oven proof dish and top with a couple of large dollops of full fat yoghurt, season with black pepper and then top with a large handful of grated cheese.

Grill until the cheese is nicely browned.

Tortington Wed 15-Jul-09 18:27:00

those sound brill - loving the nicoise salad

the cabbage for spaghetti - is genius - what do you put in the bol sauce?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now