Talk

Advanced search

Aubergine ideas?

(8 Posts)
6inchnipples Tue 14-Jul-09 22:49:13

I always make mousaka with my aubergines but would like to do something dif with them, I like it when they go that crisp way, at the edge of the mousaka and wondered can you roast them maybe.

Also in Turkey on holiday i had this lovely salad dish made with aubergines but no idea what else was in it.

Any ideas??

Meglet Tue 14-Jul-09 22:52:07

Sicilian Aubergine Stew - Caponata

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/incredible-sicilian-aubergine-stew-capon#

nice hot or cold and with ciabatta.

theDreadPirateRoberts Tue 14-Jul-09 23:08:00

Split aubergine in half(leave stalk on to be pretty). Slash crosscuts in flesh not quite as far as skin. Put into baking dish - tight as poss, then put on thin slices of onions and quartered cherry tomatoes. Cover in olive oil. Roast very slowly - an hour at least - so the tomatoes and onions melt into the flesh. Add more oil if necessary. Best eaten cold - poss sprinkled with fresh coriander. Yum smile

theDreadPirateRoberts Tue 14-Jul-09 23:10:12

Oh, and just roast them in a tray with mushrooms, courgettes, peppers, sweet potatoes etc - dressed with a bit of oil (garlic olive oil's good). Yummy on their own, and also to use as a base for a ratatouille.

[loves aubergines]

6inchnipples Tue 14-Jul-09 23:12:31

will try both, thanks smile

StirlingTheStrong Tue 14-Jul-09 23:45:46

This Aubergine, Parmesan & Tomato Bake looks yummy

BlueChampagne Wed 15-Jul-09 17:14:46

They are great in curry as they absorb the spice flavours beautifully.

There is also a Greek dish called melitsanosalata (aubergine salad) which sometimes you find with the hummus and taramasalata. Haven't made it for ages but I suspect it involves roasting the aubergines then whizzing them in the food processor with olive oil, garlic and breadcrumbs, so similar.

LuluMaman Wed 15-Jul-09 17:15:46

i made that recipe the other day, stirling, when you recommended it to me. ithink i improvised a bit and threw in some feta cheese as well as the parmesan, it was really nice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now