Talk

Advanced search

fairycakes.

(9 Posts)

You know that fancy frosting that looks like soft swirl ice-cream on top of fairycakes? Is it easy to make? Does it tend to over-power the rest of the fairy cake?
I am making fairycakes instead of a birthday cake for DS birthday and wondering whether to be ambitious or not.

tia

FritesMenthe Tue 14-Jul-09 21:22:55

Butter icing - easy peasy
Bit sickly though IMO.

seeker Tue 14-Jul-09 21:23:37

I use butter cream on mine. Or, if really pushed for time, Betty Crocker frosting.

Don't forget the edible glitter!

Yes I think that's the problem Frites is that they look good but the icing just makes them a little bit sickly, but that might be because the shops put an inch worth of icing on the cake.

FritesMenthe Tue 14-Jul-09 21:33:07

I prefer to use instant royal icing (comes in a box like icing sugar - you just have to beat it like crazy). It gives a lovely smooth finish, especially if you slice the peaks off the cakes to give a flat top.

Mind you, most boys are happy with a blob of icing with some smarties stuck in it!

StirlingTheStrong Tue 14-Jul-09 21:34:13

This is quite easy

Vanilla Frosting
250g icing sugar
80g butter at room temp
25ml whole milk
couple of drops of vanilla extract

Use hand held mixer (or food processor) and mix icing sugar and butter together then add vanilla and then milk slowly but keep mixing for a few minutes and the frosting will be quite light and fluffy!

This does make quite a lot so half the quantities - that should make enough for a batch of fairy cakes smile

stirling that frosting sounds lovely!

AnnieOneForTennis Wed 15-Jul-09 14:16:59

Stirling that sounds great - can you add a drop of colour to make, ooh I dunno PINK?
Ta!

StirlingTheStrong Wed 15-Jul-09 19:44:56

Yes, add colouring to it - and if you want chocolate frosting the recipe is...

300g icing sugar
100g butter at room temp
40g cocoa powder, sifted
40ml whole milk

same as above, I would half that for a batch of fairy cakes.

Have fun smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now