Talk

Advanced search

Please can you educate me on the sri lankan diet

(5 Posts)
pellmell Tue 14-Jul-09 18:22:02

I will be caring for some children from Sri lanka throughout the holiday.
I know the children are age 4 and under and apart from knowing they are vegitarian I don't have much idea.
For a while last year I did some care for the oldest child and she preferred only rice (no potatoes, chips, pasta etc).
It soon became clear that she found our diet especially bread with butter on difficult.
The primary carer pleads with me to just give them what we are already having (which is a lovely gesture)but I know this will be difficult for the children.
Advice (and recipes) very welcome.
tia

Metatron Tue 14-Jul-09 18:27:13

red rice, lots of side dishes, small amounts of meat.

here

shoot just noticed the veggie bit, fish veggies or proper veggies? I suspect that she probably found your stuff a bit bland. Not big on butter either.

pellmell Wed 15-Jul-09 14:28:23

just come back, thanks for the reply.
carer says "vegetarian but you can give them chicken or fish" which I assumed was out of a misplaced respect for me (to not go out of my way for them)
Any other ideas?.....I do believe that an enjoyment of food is at least a start when helping them to settle.

spicemonster Wed 15-Jul-09 14:40:38

Food there is very spicy, flat unrisen bread, lots of little things.

It may be that other carer might not understand vegetarian to mean what you do - not everyone considers chicken and fish meat in my experience!

Lots of ideas here

pellmell Wed 15-Jul-09 16:25:13

thanks spicemonster. That link was great (making my mouth water)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now