Talk

Advanced search

why are my cakes dry?

(8 Posts)
AllyH Tue 14-Jul-09 11:36:51

I followed a friends recipe for Hummingbird chocolate cup cakes and used all the right ingredients (except semi-skimmed milk instead of whole milk - but added a little cream - it's what I had!)

And as our oven is quite fierce turned the recommended temperature down a bit. However her cakes are lovely and moist and stay together and mine tasted lovely but fell in half (with the bottom half still attached to the paper cases!!)

Why do you think it is? Any ideas - otherwise will just have to keep making them and experiment with different variables! (At least the kids will eat them!)

omaoma Tue 14-Jul-09 11:39:03

all cakes i make turn into biscuits. no idea why. so you're not alone!

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Tue 14-Jul-09 11:40:57

do you use butter? do you cream sugar and butter together adn then gradually add flour and then a little milk?

if you do the above and still have dry cakes there is no hope!

Tommy Tue 14-Jul-09 11:42:36

if mine are dry it's because I've out the temp too low and I've had to leave them in the oven too long

AllyH Tue 14-Jul-09 11:45:55

My normal fairy cakes as you say creaming butter and sugar together, etc are fine, but am trying to be more adventurous and this recipe you wizz together the flour, sugar baking powder, butter, cocoa (think that's about it), then add half of a mixture of milk and egg, beat it to get rid of the lumps and then add the rest of the liquid, the mixture looked good! Just not the final product!

AllyH Tue 14-Jul-09 11:47:06

Tommy - I was thinking that might be it, and might try with the temp a bit higher (but worried I'll get burnt on top and not cooked through!)

And you think it would be so simple!

ComeOVeneer Tue 14-Jul-09 11:49:00

Buttermilk is great for making moist cakes.

AllyH Tue 14-Jul-09 11:52:23

COV - do you just use that instead of milk?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now