Talk

Advanced search

fish on a buffet

(5 Posts)
misshardbroom Tue 14-Jul-09 10:38:28

I'm doing a big family buffet next weekend for a special occasion.

I want there to be something in the fish line as part of it, but I don't know what.

Any suggestions gratefully received, but I'll receive them even more gratefully if they fall within the following parameters:

- not hideously expensive. I'd love to just buy an M&S platter of fruit de mer but I can't justify the £40+ it will cost me.

- not a hot dish. I'm going for a totally cold buffet because I have an open plan house and there'll be too many little people running about to risk burning anyone.

- ideally, could be prepared ahead (but not totally essential)

Thanks in advance

ComeOVeneer Tue 14-Jul-09 10:41:57

Whole poached salmon. Looks imprseeive, easy to make and can be done ahead of time, and served cold. Lovely with a cucumber and white wine vinegar salad, taziki (sp) and new potatoes drizzled with olive oil.

misshardbroom Tue 14-Jul-09 10:43:30

will I need a fish kettle to do it? And will I need to gut it myself?

ComeOVeneer Tue 14-Jul-09 10:48:16

You can get the fishmonger to gut and generally prepare it for you. Yes you would need a fish kettle to do a whole fish, but you could just do fillets in a deep lidded frying pan, then just present them nicely on a serving platter.

idunnop Tue 14-Jul-09 10:57:09

You cna borrow fish kettles for free from Waitrose if you have one near you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now