Talk

Advanced search

Goosberry recipe (if there is such a thing...)!

(5 Posts)
janmoomoo Sat 11-Jul-09 19:22:57

Just picked a massive jug full from the garden but what on earth can I do with them that is simple and nice?

mrspnut Sat 11-Jul-09 19:26:02

Nigella's gooseberry cream crumble is my favourite here

I love it, and you don't need custard or cream with it either. I ran out of elderflower last weekend so just left it out.

janmoomoo Sat 11-Jul-09 19:31:47

Yeh, thats pretty simple. Would keep DH happy.

HolidaysQueen Sat 11-Jul-09 19:37:52

Last year Waitrose had a thing in their magazine all about gooseberries and as I love them I tried several of the recipes, so worth searching on their website for ideas.

For simplicity and lusciousness, nothing can beat gooseberry fool - you could just stew with some sugar and stir into thick creamy yoghurt for a very simple one, but 'proper' ones involve cream and/or custard too. google and you'll find lots of variations. especially nice if you add some elderflower cordial if you have any - it goes really well with gooseberries.

a bit more special is this gooseberry meringue pie - use ready to roll shortcrust pastry instead of making it to make it easier

finally, i also did a lovely gooseberry cake which was really easy

frimblypoo Sat 11-Jul-09 19:43:29

stew them, whisk them into thick custard (make it with custard powder) and leave to set in the fridge. If you can be bothered you could pipe some cream on top (or squirt it out of a can!) but it's not necessary
mmmmmmmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now