Talk

Advanced search

How to ensure dairy-intolerant toddler gets enough calcium?

(12 Posts)
NoHotAshes Sat 11-Jul-09 13:07:10

DD 2.10 is intolerant to cows' milk so I have had to cut out dairy from her diet. I know that foods like broccoli, sesame seeds and quinoa are all relatively high in calcium but it seems like she'd have to eat quite large quantities to get enough, which of course she doesn't.

Please give me your tips on what you give your dairy-free children! I'd prefer not to use soya milk/products.

StirlingTheStrong Sat 11-Jul-09 13:19:53

Sorry - I wont be much help as my DD (4) who is allergic to all dairy has soya milk/yoghurts etc and she is big and strong smile

Do you have a particular problem with soya?

foreverchanges Sat 11-Jul-09 13:20:52

know that oranges are high in calcium for a fruit .sardines in tomato sauce/tinned salmon not sure if your dd would eat these but just ideas

foreverchanges Sun 12-Jul-09 22:22:03

found thiswww.lactose.co.uk/milkallergy/calcium.htmlabout calcium in a dary free diet

foreverchanges Sun 12-Jul-09 22:25:32

thisfood-facts.suite101.com/article.cfm/alternative_calcium_sources is better

NoHotAshes Mon 13-Jul-09 13:27:23

thanks for the links! Maybe I need to hunt down some turnip greens... I wonder if she'd eat them though?

foreverchanges Tue 14-Jul-09 10:04:50

you could blend them into a hidden veg pasta sauce or soup , you ll have to find some who grows turnips !we have this scheme running in our town www.incredible-edible-todmorden.co.uk/ its running in a fewther places to its just been givin funding by prince charles ,im not really part of it but i know the lady who started it it a good idea ,maybe they would post u turnip greens lol smile

stitchtime Tue 14-Jul-09 10:06:43

almonds have lots and lots and lots of calcium in them. as a general rule, all nuts have lots of good stuff.

twoisplenty Tue 14-Jul-09 10:12:26

Would your dd have fruit smoothies? Home-made ones I mean? By whizzing up a smoothie, and adding a few almonds in the blend, and dare I mention adding some romaine lettuce or spinach or curly kale (the taste is easily hidden by having some strong flavoured fruit such as raspberries) is a power house of all nutrients for bone growth including calcium.

And avoid calcium loss by avoiding fizzy drinks.

Adding almond butter to celery stick or a cracker?

Can't think of any more at the minute!

Jennie78 Tue 14-Jul-09 14:25:43

Figs are surprisingly high in calcium and yummy and sweet!

NoHotAshes Tue 14-Jul-09 14:40:42

Almond butter is a good idea. I'm trying to get her to have tahini on toast and she's accepted that once or twice.

I didn't know about figs, that's useful!

I've bought some Oatly oat drink to try making smoothies with.

luckylady74 Tue 14-Jul-09 14:45:56

The apple juice and orange juice mini cartons I buy from tesco have added calcium.
The child once a day multi vits I use that are Boots own brand have calcium in them.
My ds1 doesn't eat dairy and so I give him lots of nuts,seeds, juice,fish and dried fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now