Talk

Advanced search

Answers asap pls or I need to go shopping! Philadelphia instead of marscapone?

(8 Posts)
notamumyetbutoneday Fri 10-Jul-09 14:52:08

I've got all the ingredients I need to make a lemon mousse tonight, except marscapone. Do you think I can substiute low fat soft cheese instead? If it was just for me and DH I would risk it but we are having guests as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

SexyDomesticatedDad Fri 10-Jul-09 16:25:54

I would. Marscapone is slightly sweeter too so would consider whisking a little bit of icing sugar into the low fat cheese.

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 10-Jul-09 16:29:25

Thank you SSD! I had pretty much made my mind up (didn't fancy braving Morrisons on a friday evening!) so will give it a try and good tip re the sugar, thanks

charitygirl Fri 10-Jul-09 16:31:29

i'm sceptical i'm afriad - i feel philly is too strongly flavoured and salty...sorry!

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 10-Jul-09 16:35:07

ooh no now im torn. im thinking I use philly in cheesecakes though and it tastes fine...could just add sugar as suggested...can you tell i realllly dont want to go shopping?!!!

SexyDomesticatedDad Fri 10-Jul-09 16:56:22

if you are making lemon you won't notice it being salty - assume you will add the grated zest too - that helps to pack a punch - if in doubt add some more from another lemon or if you have it in your cupboard a drop or two of lemon oil.

CG - find it strange you think Philly is strongly flavoured, maybe a little over salted.

Tend to use the Sainsb' basics cheese its nearly as good as philly and cheaper too.

nannyL Sat 11-Jul-09 09:18:59

i would use philly with a bit of icing sugar!

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 13-Jul-09 09:31:15

I did use philadeplphia and it was fine, added lemon curd and zest and it was nice, not earth shatteringly amazing, but nice all the same!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now