Talk

Advanced search

Why are the bottoms of my flapjacks always sodding burnt?

(8 Posts)
EyeballsintheSky Thu 09-Jul-09 21:16:56

I'm using one of Marguerite Patton's recipes;

8oz oats
6oz butter
3oz dem sugar
3oz golden syrup
pinch salt

30 mins on 180

I've been making them for ages and all fine but recently I can't make them without them getting burnt even when I watch them like a hawk and take them out earlier.

Any clues? My niece is desperate for some and I can't get any good enough to give her.

StirlingTheStrong Thu 09-Jul-09 22:00:57

I do them for 25 mins at 160.

Could your oven be playing up? My baking was always hit and miss till I got an oven thermometer which showed that my oven was at the wrong temp all the time!

Yurtgirl Thu 09-Jul-09 22:04:13

Are you greasing the tin?

I find flapjacks hit and miss tbh - either too crumbly or too rock like

If crumbly I melt chocolate, mix flapjack crumble in and put in fridge overnight - yum yum
Or we have crumbly flapjack with custard - also yum!

bellavita Thu 09-Jul-09 22:14:37

I use one of those reusable non-stick sheets - best thing I ever bought.

Mary Berry does a good flapjack recipe - cannot remember off the top of my head (I am mning in bed) but if you want it I will post it tomorrow smile

thirtypence Thu 09-Jul-09 22:16:00

Use a silicon baking pan - much less likely to burn IME

EyeballsintheSky Thu 09-Jul-09 23:05:56

Yes, greasing the tin. Have just tried again without greasing tin and on 160 for 20 mins. They are out and looking better but as yet untasted. I'm sick to death of looking at the things and can't face it! That's three attempts today hmm

Yes, there has always been a rock/flapjack 'crumble' scenario.

I've got a silicone sheet and a square cake tin so I suppose the silicone doesn't know whether there's flapjack or a sponge cake in there...

Thanks. I shall try a combination of the above suggestions and see if I can produce something edible before Christmas

Washersaurus Thu 09-Jul-09 23:07:55

Grease the tin and line with baking paper, don't cook on fan setting...ummmm or try another recipe.

I cook flapjacks at 180 for 20-30 mins with no burning btw

EyeballsintheSky Thu 09-Jul-09 23:36:01

Eek! <<clings on to aged wartime recipe>>

Haven't a non-fan setting. I think it's a very cheap exclusive oven.

Must buy baking paper. I always stare at it vacantly in the shop, not really knowing what it's for blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now