Talk

Advanced search

oh dear. help (again) i decorate cakes (hobby) and now dd(6) wants...

(10 Posts)
civilfawlty Thu 09-Jul-09 20:17:30

a diamond castle cake. not flat, oh no - because i did a normal castle cake for her friend. she wants a proper 3d diamond castle cake and is so excited. have you seen the diamond castle? its see-through! help me, help me...

Sculpting it in ice?
Sorry!

How about doing the floors, doors, middle etc out of cake, but then cloaking it in something glass-looking? Maybe rice-paper (wouldn't look as solid as icing)...um...am sure someone with better ideas will be along in a mo - good luck though!

MaureenMLove Thu 09-Jul-09 20:31:09

I have a fairy castle cake on my profile, which isn't too difficult for a hobby person to do.

civilfawlty Thu 09-Jul-09 20:46:38

thank you!

maureen - i have made one like that before, but she wants one which is the same shape as the diamond castle, and i want to make it for her so much...

MaureenMLove Thu 09-Jul-09 20:52:25

What's the diamond castle? I don't have little people anymore, so if it's a CBBC's thing or something, that's why I don't know! grin

PortAndLemon Thu 09-Jul-09 20:59:19

Don't worry about the see-through aspect -- do it in white with lots of glitter/lustre powder.

If having to make one, I'd be inclined to do the central part of the castle as tiered cakes with a longer thinner cylinder on top, and then do all the turrets and parapets and so forth in sugarpaste or pastillage, depending on fiddliness.

Debbie Brown's Magical Cakes and Enchanted Cakes books might give you some ideas that you could adapt.

PortAndLemon Thu 09-Jul-09 21:01:47

(Maureen, I think it's a Barbie movie thing. The only picture I can find online is this one.

PortAndLemon Thu 09-Jul-09 21:03:13

And if Mattel can pass this off as the Diamond Castle from the movie, whatever cake you choose to make will do admirably provided it's kind of castle-shaped and sort of diamondy.

MaureenMLove Thu 09-Jul-09 21:07:52

Crickey! She's not asking much is she? grin

Good luck! I can't think of anything, but I will give it some thought and I might get a light bulb moment!

civilfawlty Thu 09-Jul-09 21:52:57

you are all brilliant, thank you...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now