Talk

Advanced search

I love Ocado. Is the membership really worth it?

(24 Posts)
PrincessToadstool Thu 09-Jul-09 11:00:08

I used to use them a lot but got fed up of paying for, say, 3 courgettes when I only needed 2, etc, so switched to WaitroseDeliver. But it's so crap to have to wait two days for a slot.

Anyway so I've just had Ocado deliver, much better, no subs, free newspaper, and actually we're more economical now so would find something to do with an extra courgette or whatever it might be.

Is it really worth paying to be a member? The big thing tempting me is the priority bookings at Christmas - does anyone know if you get this with monthly as well as annual membership?

notnowbernard Thu 09-Jul-09 14:09:17

I get Ocado deliveries most of the time and I'm not a 'member'

They do that £8.99 a month thing which entitles you to free deliveries as often as you like for orders of at least £40. Is that what you mean?

ZZMum Thu 09-Jul-09 14:13:14

I am a member - it is worth it as it means you can justify smaller more frequent shops which I find more effective and useful for keeping us topped up with fruit and veg.. definitely a good plan!

andiem Thu 09-Jul-09 14:14:23

I am an annual member have 6 months left to run and have had over £120 worth of deliveries already so yes I would say it is worth it

LupusinaLlamasuit Thu 09-Jul-09 14:14:52

I have the OnDemand thing as of last month. TBH you don't throw food away with Ocado as the dates are so much better than other deliveries. And we save money by doing one or two shops a week with them because we're not running out of food and paying ridiculous prices at the corner shop etc..

So I do think it is worth it, if you'd be a customer of theirs anyway.

sfxmum Thu 09-Jul-09 14:15:17

I think it is, so far at least

notnowbernard Thu 09-Jul-09 14:17:36

I'm on the one month free trial atm

I might do the £8.99 thing because if I did a weekly shop (and I NEED to do a weekly shop) it would be worth it in contrast to standard delivery charges

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 09-Jul-09 14:19:17

I have this, I've used them twice over the past month so I could use them more, it's still cheaper then the £5 a delivery I normally pay though. It really does depend on how much you use them and how much you spend.

Owls Thu 09-Jul-09 14:23:25

I have two deliveries a week so it's definitely worth it.

I've got the annual membership which gives two priority Christmas delivery slots (one free included) but sorry, don't know if you get that with the monthly membership or not.

PfftTheMagicDragon Thu 09-Jul-09 14:25:20

I do the On Demand thing for £8.99 a month. It's worth it for us as we do a smaller order once a week for perishables so get more than my money's worth in deliveries.

PrincessToadstool Thu 09-Jul-09 14:27:38

blush the on demand thing is what I meant. Free trial? <off to investigate>

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 09-Jul-09 14:29:23

The monthly membership gives you a christmas slot aswell.

I was sent a code for a 2 week trial but it didn't take the cost of the order so I tecnically only used it once.

geekgirl Thu 09-Jul-09 14:33:09

I get a delivery every 4-5 days and have on-demand membership - I love it, I can go for the most convenient time slot without feeling that I'm being penalised by it being £3 more than other slots. And it's really handy having a low limit of £40 - so nice to not have to do a big shop every time.

ReneRusso Thu 09-Jul-09 16:14:10

The website is quoting me £9.99 - has it gone up from £8.99 recently?
and how do you get the free trial?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 09-Jul-09 16:31:34

Mine's not gone up.

They should have sent you an email with a code.

scienceteacher Thu 09-Jul-09 16:57:19

I paid for an annual Ocado membership and I think it is a good thing. I make orders of £40 a time, and don't try to over order. This way, I only have to think of 2 or 3 days worth of food and don't have to throw anything away.

aarghhelp Thu 09-Jul-09 18:55:19

We just used Waitrose Deliver for the 1st time. I was very pleased with it. Free delivery (Tues am, would be £4.49 for equivalent next week with Ocado), came on time. We got a lot of the special offers for that week, also a free pack of cheese (cos they couldn't manage to scan it inhmm). No substitutions (you can specify which items you would allow to be substituted), only 2 items not delivered, which I didn't mind too much about.

Ocado would have to undercut the prices a lot to beat that.

So are they really better?

Podrick Thu 09-Jul-09 19:00:13

Its good to be able to order every 4 days or so rather than once a week

aarghhelp Thu 09-Jul-09 19:58:41

Well, the minimum order for Waitrose free delivery is £50. There isn't a rule that you can only order once a week, as far as I know.

The minimum order for the Ocado membership scheme is £40.

Is that enough of a difference to pay that much extra for membership, then?

nannyL Thu 09-Jul-09 22:19:32

This is what waitrose deliver did to my friend at Christmas...

they got in early and booked an evening 23rd Dec delivery slot and in the basket put in a few bottles of champagne so it made the order cost enough...

a couple of days before (21 Dec i think) they logged onto their account to basically put in the shopping the actually wanted BUT waitrose deliver had CANCELLED their delivery slot... because the champagne in the order was out of stock shock shock.
they still had a confirmation email that slot was booked (and had NOT had anything telling them other wise)
by this time on 21 Dec there were no delivery slots left.

they were also extreamly busy visiting relatives and planned to be home in time for the 23rd dec delivery.

so they had to go shopping on Xmas eve. This caused the family HUGE stress, and the people in waitrose (who they went in to see) couldnt care less shock angry.
didnt even get a sorry, just a "well its not my fault system is designed like that"

this actually really upset their Xmas, (as the relatives whom they had driven halfway across the country to collect) had to basically sit at home on Xmas eve while they went shopping, and they had also been planning to do lots of food prep on Xmas eve, which they obviously couldnt do until they got the food.

Waitrose were so unhelpful and didnt even offer a vocuher for free delivery at another time or anything angry

MollieO Sat 11-Jul-09 15:44:36

The 'monthly' membership is for a minimum of 12 months so I assume it does not truly become monthly until after that 12 month period.

I've just started the free trial membership but I'm not sure I'd use it that much to justify the £8.99 cost (unlike my Amazon membership which has been excellent and gets lots of use!). Even the Christmas slots probably aren't of interest as turkey is from the local farm and veg comes from our usual veg box delivery co (who do special Christmas veg boxes with everything we need). Everything else can be bought way before Christmas to avoid the mayhem.

hf128219 Sat 11-Jul-09 15:48:17

I love it! Pay for the Annual. They are doing Sunday deliveries from September.

scienceteacher Sat 11-Jul-09 17:31:59

If the monthly cost is £8.99, that's equivalent to just two Tesco deliveries.

But with Ocado, you only have to buy £40 at a time, so may have 6 - 8 deliveries a month, depending on what you buy.

The one-hour delivery window, that they stick to, is amazingly useful too.

schilke Tue 14-Jul-09 20:21:56

I am using free trial at the moment - so I am able to do 2 small shops a week. However, I never paid a delivery as I'd just have it late in the evening when there was no fee and only do one shop a week.

Plus, I am a bit fed up with having dodgy fruit. Nectarines and strawberries today looked very very ripe.

Also, I like to have a variety of supermarkets deliver so would probably get fed up of Ocado after a month constant use!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now