Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Carrot cake

(13 Posts)
pinkmagic1 Wed 18-May-05 10:03:30

Has anyone got an easy but tasty recipe for carrot cake that dosn't involve a myriad of expensive ingrediants?

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 10:04:23

yes - hang on I'll go get the book

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 10:08:15

Cinnamon and Carrot Cake (from Vegetarian Kitchen by Sarah Brown)

1/2lb / 225g plain wheatmeal or wholewheat flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
4 oz / 110g butter or margarine
4 oz honey
4 oz sugar
1/2 lb / 225g carrots, peeled and finely grated

Pre-heat overn to gas 3 / 325F / 170C

Mix together flour, spices and baking powder

Melt the butter, honey and sugar together in a saucepan then stir this mixture into the flour combining all ingreatdents thoroughly

Next stir in grated carrots

Put mixture into 1lb (450g) loaf tin and bake for 60 - 80 mins until it feels firm to the touch and a skewer shoved into the middle comes out clean

leave cake in tin for 10 mins then turn it out onto a cooling rack

SoupDragon Wed 18-May-05 10:24:42

oh bum. I@ve just used all my flour up on a lemon syrup cake. I love carrot cake and love cinnamon too!

Tetley Wed 18-May-05 10:43:05

This is one that was posted on here bfore (by Harman) which I have used a few times & is really nice & really easy! I've also baked the mix in individual muffin cases as well as a big cake, which worked well.

125g self raising flour
pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
125g soft brown sugar
2 eggs
100 ml sunflower oil
125g grated carrot
25g desiccated coconut
25g chopped walnuts

Sieve flour, salt and cinnamon in bowl. Stir in brown sugar. Add eggs and oil and mix well. Stir in carrot, coconut and walnuts.

Pour mixture into 8" tin and bake at 180C, 350F or Gas 4 for 20-25 mins until firm to touch.

Cheese frosting - 50g butter, 50g full fat soft cheese, 225g icing sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice. Beat all together until fluffy and creamy.

Decorate with icing and walnut halves.

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 10:47:22

really easy frosting just put lemon curd and sugar into full fat soft cheese till it tastes nice

(this is an adapation from a slimming world recipe - lemon curd and granulated sweetener into quark)

Tetley Wed 18-May-05 10:49:10

That frosting sounds nice. Forgot to say that I didn't use the frosting on the recipe I posted below as isn't like the idea of all the butter in it. I just used icing sugar, cream cheese & a splash of lemon juice.

fuzzywuzzy Wed 18-May-05 10:53:57

Twiglett, just to double check is it definitely one table spoon cinnamon?? Recipe sounds devine and I am going to try it, but with in-laws paying a visit I don't think I can afford a kitchen disaster, especially as evil witch sil has already made up terrible lies about my domestic abilities...

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 10:57:44

yes

definately a tablespoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of nutmeg

it is the best cake to have with coffee and smells divine

TrophyWife Wed 18-May-05 11:04:25

i made this one on saturday....
This is rickman's recipe:
125g self raising flour
pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
125g soft brown sugar
2 eggs
100 ml sunflower oil
125g grated carrot
25g desiccated coconut
25g chopped walnuts

Sieve flour, salt and cinnamon in bowl. Stir in brown sugar. Add eggs and oil and mix well. Stir in carrot, coconut and walnuts.

Pour mixture into 8" tin and bake at 180C, 350F or Gas 4 for 20-25 mins until firm to touch.

Cheese frosting - 50g butter, 50g full fat soft cheese, 225g icing sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice. Beat all together until fluffy and creamy.

Decorate with icing and walnut halves

and it was really tasty, i have everything in the cupboard so nice and cheap too....

SoupDragon Wed 18-May-05 11:08:35

I always use a tablespoon of cinnamon even if the recipe says a teaspoon

SoupDragon Wed 18-May-05 11:09:19

BTW - would you need much sugar with the lemon curd/cream cheese frosting? I would have thought there was lots in the curd anyway.

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 11:15:41

you do need a little - I've only done the slimmer's world variety and tbh I just shook it in and kept tasting - think I used a couple of tbsps of lemon curd to about a 4 oz tub of quark then added the sugar - took 2 or 3 shakes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now