Talk

Advanced search

oh dear ANOTHER cake question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(3 Posts)
mothersmilk Thu 09-Jul-09 08:36:06

the madera recipe im using for my wedding cake can i add lemon zest to make it a lemon cake and cocoa to make it chocolate?

bellavita Thu 09-Jul-09 09:09:03

Right, have just looked in my Perfect Party Cakes book and it does say for the Madeira cake under variations - add the zest of a lemon or orange to the mix for a citrus touch, however it does not say anything about chocolate.

I do have a recipe on the following page for a chocolate sponge cake which says the cake produces a soft velvety texture which is strong enough to withstand being carved into shapes. A crust will form on the top as it cooks, slice this off and discard (or eat it! grin)

titferbrains Thu 09-Jul-09 14:29:42

I would just go to a baking website and get a proper chocolate cake recipe, I think it will be a bit dry otherwise. If you do go ahead and use your recipe remember to replace some of the flour with cocoa rather than adding cocoa as well as the full amount of flour - or it really will be dry.

Try a mud cake recipe, they are moist and reasonably firm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now