Talk

Advanced search

What to cook for a family that are coming to stay and I dont even know them!

(10 Posts)
npg1 Wed 08-Jul-09 19:49:17

OK, so OH has invited a friend of his over this weekend with his wife (pregnant) and 4yr old child.

What do I cook? They are coming friday PM so will need to do a dinner, maybe picniking saturday, dinner saturday and something on sunday.

Please help!

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 08-Jul-09 19:53:19

Can you get your OH to ask if there is anything they don't like ??

Is the weather likely to be ok for BBQ on Saturday night maybe ?

Sunday roast is usually a good bet...

Its really hard to know without having any idea about them. They could even be veggie ?!

Goober Wed 08-Jul-09 19:57:47

Chinese takeaway.
Fish n chips.
BBQ. Salad.
Jacket spuds with a variety of fillings and salad.

MrsMerryHenry Wed 08-Jul-09 19:58:45

err...have you tried asking them?

DLI Wed 08-Jul-09 19:59:02

lunches

i would just stock up on sandwhich fillings like ham and cheese, have crisps, yoghurts, cocktail sausage rolls, salad stuff, jacket potatoes and you can then make it up as you go along!

evening meals

1. roast chicken with potatoes and carrots, peas and gravey (with salad stuff to hand as an alternative to veg and gravy)

2. pasta blogonaise with garlic bread and salad

3. homemade pizza - you can throw some ham and mushrooms on it if they like them!

DLI Wed 08-Jul-09 19:59:52

a few fairy cakes or cake slices, ice cream and fruit

BirdyArms Wed 08-Jul-09 20:05:08

I would plan for picnic saturday lunch, BBQ saturday pm and roast chicken Sunday lunch. For Friday pm I'd probably do a separate kid's tea, maybe pasta, then I have a couple of different easy asian style salmon things that I do a lot with rice and a green veg for the adults with posh ice cream to follow.

If you do have time to bake a cake as well it would give them the impression that you are a domestic godess.

blowbroth Wed 08-Jul-09 20:14:41

Find out what time they plan to leave on Sunday. When guests stay with us we tend to have a late breakfast with all the usual stuff, sausage, egg, bacon, etc croissants, pain au chocolate to really fill 'em up and send them packing.

npg1 Wed 08-Jul-09 21:30:26

Thanks everyone.

Friday was thinking of making an onion tart with jackets and salad, can a pregnant woman have feta cheese? Or mushroom risotto.

Maybe make a curry on saturday night if weather not good for BBQ.

Sunday is tricky as not sure what time they are going so will probably plan a big breakfast but wont have time to do roast as hoping the will go early!

Yes would like to make a cake or pavlova!

BirdyArms Wed 08-Jul-09 22:39:33

Onion tart sounds yum and feta is fine for pregnant women. I think that the key is to decide what you're giving them and to get organised, as you are doing. I have another family coming to stay for a week and am dreading it, they're not very close friends, but am going to try to do a thorough menu plan, it's not my usual style though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now