Talk

Advanced search

Lots of eggs and lots of potatoes. Give me recipes!

(13 Posts)
Hopefully Wed 08-Jul-09 17:55:08

I have about 2 dozen eggs, most of them already a couple of weeks old, so I want to make something from them before they go manky. Perhaps lemon curd? Has anyone got a recipe that doesn't include cornflour?

Also, many many potatoes. What does one do with 2 kilos of potatoes that won't last a whole lot longer? Hoping for something I can make and then freeze...

uberalice Wed 08-Jul-09 17:56:15

Spanish omelette will use up eggs and potatoes.

Cies Wed 08-Jul-09 18:07:25

You can make a load of mashed potato and freeze that.

Make some cakes and freeze?

Have omelette and chips for supper today, and Spanish omelette tomorrow?

simpson Wed 08-Jul-09 18:09:40

frittata <yum>

Cies Wed 08-Jul-09 18:14:08

Boil up the potatoes and make potato salad. You can add hard boiled eggs to it as well.

MadameCastafiore Wed 08-Jul-09 18:20:04

Bubble and squeak - mash pots add some eggs and then freeze - then defrost when you want it and add some cabbage and some mashed carrot or whatever else you have lying around and shape into patties and then bake - is yummy with a fried egg and couple of rashers of bacon!

Starbear Wed 08-Jul-09 18:26:43

Spainish Omelette (Tortilla) Just add onions.
Cut 1 lbs into potatoes into cubes. Chop up 1 onion. break 5 eggs into a bowl & beat a little. Fry cubes in veg oil. When potatoes are just light brown taken them out onto kitchen paper to get rid of excess oil. Get a frying pan that a dinner plate will fit over. Put a soup spoon of oil in the frying pan. Sweat the onions. Put hot potatoes into eggs and onions. Mix. Put 1 spoon of oil into fry pan heat then add mixture. On low heat cook. Then here come the trick bit so do this over the sink put plate over frying pan and flip over then put upside down back into pan and cook until knife can go in and got without runny egg. Tip into plate cut and serve. good luck

Hopefully Wed 08-Jul-09 19:02:59

Ooh, many good ideas!

Had already cooked dinner for tonight, but think I'm going to make a big spanish omelette tomorrow, and then do one of the other suggestions with whatever's left.

Starbear Wed 08-Jul-09 19:42:16

Hopefully. Make sure it a good oily, non-stick frying pan and wait until the bottom is a little brown. get a fish knife to look under. If you are not sure about flipping it over onto a dinner plate.(I had to practice from childhood) I know other people put the pan under the grill to finish cooking the egg.

simpson Wed 08-Jul-09 20:04:20

yes I don't flip but put in oven for about 3/4mins smile

theDreadPirateRoberts Wed 08-Jul-09 20:14:31

Mmmm. Egg and chips. Mmmm. [Homer Simpson]

titferbrains Thu 09-Jul-09 14:36:17

Make nigella's passion fruit curd, it doesn't use cornflour and it is lifechangingly good. Use the whites to make meringues and let them dry overnight, then put them in a tupperware box and voila, you've got pudding whenever you need it!! I used the curds to fill little tartlet shells and served as dessert for friends with homemade coconut ice cream. So good.

Sunshinemummy Thu 09-Jul-09 14:52:11

One of my fave things with eggs is a spicy scrambled one where you add paprika, chorizo, onion, pepper, mushroom and coriander. You could easily have them with some patatas bravas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now