Talk

Advanced search

Mexican (possibly) for 4?

(9 Posts)
geordieminx Wed 08-Jul-09 10:46:53

Got parents coming up at the weekend, would like to make a nice proper meal as they have been really kind to us recently (that and I always seem to make salmon and roast veg when the come blush)

Has anyone got any suggestions/receipes? Thinking along the lines of nachos/fahjitas/stuff but nice IYKWIM?

MadameCastafiore Wed 08-Jul-09 11:02:57

Jamie Olivers chilli using steak is nice.

Or Tacos always go down well in our house.

PestoMonster Wed 08-Jul-09 11:05:14

Fajitas. Yum

YanknCock Wed 08-Jul-09 11:09:01

Enchiladas! Serve with refried beans and salad with a coriander/lime dressing. Yum.

geordieminx Wed 08-Jul-09 11:37:50

Have made Jamies chilli before - love it - so tender.

How do I make the other things blush Apart from fahjitas - I can do them.

MadameCastafiore Wed 08-Jul-09 11:54:33

Tacos - yu get taco seasoning, add to mince with a little water and then serve in a big bowl so people can make their won.

In our house:

Lettuce first
Mince mix next
sour cream or creme fraiched next
salsa
and then finally grated cheese.

All of the above in a taco shell of course.

Sunshinemummy Wed 08-Jul-09 11:59:17

Bill Granger's fist burritos are wonderful.

Chunks of white fish marinaded in a blended mix of olive oil, paprika, fresh coriander, chilli and salt. Then fry off the fish in chunks.

Serve with tortillas, lettuce, lime wedges and the following.

Cucumber salad - cucumber, coriander, spring onion with a dressing of lime juice, chilli, salt and a teaspoon sugar.

Lime mayonnaise - just add lime juice and zest to some shop bought mayo.

The other thing I really like is the chilli in Nigella's Christmas book. She puts chocolate in it which makes it really deep and rich.

thirtysomething Wed 08-Jul-09 12:27:48

quesadillas easy and delish - lightly heat two tortillas per person in a frying pan, turn over so browned side facing up and not against pan, spread some salsa (we like EL paso sweet corn and pepper one), a couple of tablespoons of strong grated cheddar, two spoons of sweetcorn and a handful of chopped onion on one tortilla, place the other (browned side inward) on top, cook gently till going brown on bottom, flip over to brown remaining side then cut into wedges and serve with guacamole and soured crem. Delicious!

YanknCock Wed 08-Jul-09 17:03:44

Enchiladas are just filled tortillas covered in sauce and baked. I don't have a proper recipe, lost it ages ago and just do it to taste!

Filling:
Shredded cooked chicken breast (I boil it, then shred)
grated cheese
creme fraiche
Very Lazy Chillies (or you could buy them and chop yourself)
onion
bit of chicken stock

Saute onion in a bit of oil, add your chicken, cheese, chillies, & creme fraiche and heat through. If too thick, add some stock to thin it out a bit. You want it to be a creamy thick filling.

Put the mixture into corn tortillas (heat in microwave until just pliable), folding in the ends (like a burrito) and placing fold down into a rectangular baking dish.

Pour sauce over top, add some extra grated cheese, and bake at 180 until hot through and bubbly (20-30 min I think).

There are prepared enchilada sauces out there, but I make my own:

tomato passata
finely chopped and sauted onion
ground cumin
salt
pepper
chilli flakes

Usually put the sauce on to simmer while I get everything else ready. Again, sorry for no measurements!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now