Talk

Advanced search

Vanilla Cake - disclaimer, this is gorgeous

(9 Posts)
dizzydixies Mon 06-Jul-09 22:35:51

ladies, think Mars lemon cake but vanilla drizzle cake smile I've made this 5 times now and it has turned out brilliantly each time, its really easy too

loose bottomed, deep, round 20cm cake tin, greased and lined

oven 160 or 140 fan or gas 3

250g unsalted butter, soft
250g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
5 large eggs (cracked into jug - not beaten)
85g plain flour
250g s/r flour
100g full fat greek yogurt
3 tablespoons milk

for syrup
50g golden caster sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
50ml water

beat together butter, sugar, vanilla and 1/4 tsp salt in a large bowl (electric mixer if you have one) until pale and fluffy

add eggs one at a time with a really good beating after each one

beat in yogurt

mix flours together and sift into the bowl, fold into the mix using large metal spoon

then fold in the milk and spoon the mix into the tin

into oven for approx 1hr 15mins

make the syrup, whilst cake is in oven cooking, by placing sugar, vanilla essence and water into a pan and heat over low heat until sugar dissolved - leave to side till cake ready

make vanilla buttercream

175g room temp unsalted butter
300g sifted icing sugar
1tsp vanilla essence

beat butter till pale and add icing sugar a little at a time whilst beating, add vanilla essence and beat through as well

leave to cool in tin for half hour before turning out onto wire rack and then poke all over with skewer. drizzle in the syrup a little at a time letting it soak in before adding the next bit

now at this point I half it and put vanilla buttercream in the middle, sandwich the two halves together and then cover the top and sides with the buttercream as well

BoysAreLikeDawgs Mon 06-Jul-09 22:40:41

omnomnom that looks yum

dizzydixies Mon 06-Jul-09 22:42:32

Boys its fab smile

BoysAreLikeDawgs Mon 06-Jul-09 22:44:20

I could really fancy some RIGHT NOW

cyteen Mon 06-Jul-09 22:44:28

Marking my place grin

BoysAreLikeDawgs Mon 06-Jul-09 22:45:12

How big is a 20cm cake in Old Money?

8 inches?

[lazy]

dizzydixies Mon 06-Jul-09 22:46:57

I made one this morning for DD1's birthday lunch today but its all gone grin and one last week for her teacher and handed one in at the cafe I volunteer in for last week too - they're SO easy

am sure its 8" but will check tomorrow

hi cyteen smile

Wags Mon 06-Jul-09 23:01:08

I made this cake for DD's 6th birthday on Saturday. It was really, really nice though I say so myself grin. Its featured in last months Good Food magazine. I used it in a Hannah Montana star shaped tin, the whole cake was moist, no dry edges or anything.

Wags Mon 06-Jul-09 23:05:28

Here it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now