Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for using up basil (apart from pesto) and coriander please

(8 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Mon 06-Jul-09 14:18:26

Have masses of fresh basil and coriander - what are your favourite dishes for using these up please? Not necessarily together! Many thanks.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Mon 06-Jul-09 14:20:01

Message withdrawn

sazlocks Mon 06-Jul-09 14:20:16

don't know if this helps but we always chop and freeze our coriander and then use it throughout the year. Basil doesn't freeze too well and I will watch this thread with interest cos we have a glut too at the moment.

sis Mon 06-Jul-09 14:27:13

Indian chutney? It is very much made to taste and I don't like very hot food so I use: one large bunch of coriander (about 2-3 pots worth from the supermarket), 1-2 fresh green chillies, 1 teaspoon salt, 3-4 teaspoon sugar, juice of one lemon, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds - put the whole lot in a blender and whizz up into a paste. It doesn't have any oil to preserve it but keeps for a few days in the fridge - better to freeze in ice cube trays. You can add one or two cubes worth into salad dressings, curries, soups etc.

lilolilmanchester Mon 06-Jul-09 14:30:43

love the chutney idea - might try that, thanks sis and will freeze coriander sazlocks. Thanks for your ideas too Reality. Any more good recipes using either of these? Thanks

titferbrains Mon 06-Jul-09 14:30:57

I chop and freeze my basil, no particular issues except it doesn't look as pretty. I would whizz up basil just with olive oil and freeze in cubes, then easy to use to flavour anything with basil throughout the year. Also v obvious - basil and tomato sauce - batches of to give you that summery feeling in winter.

Other nice combos - basil and goat's cheese, use in a herb omelette/frittata, pea and basil/pesto soup, also use to replace thai basil in thai recipes, still lovely and fragrant. Nigel Slater does a nice basil and lemon chicken dish which is pretty straightforward. nice to use thai basil in green curry, go easy on chillies, makes it much more aromatic. Think feta and watermelon salad can be done with basil instead of mint if you like. Also go to jekka's farm website, she is jamie o's herb lady and is bound to have ideas.

Coriander - try peruvian duck with green rice, uses loads of coriander. google it. Make it with white wine not beer - I thought beer gave too bitter a flavour.

Blend coriander roots (washed) with black pepper and garlic and a bit of fish sauce, mix with pork mince and fry/grill as burgers, serve with sweet chilli sauce - very addictive.
Hope this helps.

sis Tue 07-Jul-09 13:59:50

Glad you like the chutney. I thought of another recipe: yougurt rice, which, again, is Indian. I think the original recipe I used was one from Madhur Jaffrey but I have no idea where it is now. This is one i found online: www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/65/Yogurt_Rice19492.shtml. It is an American recipe so the cilantro is coriander and, I cut back on the chillies and add raisins and extra coriander because I like them!.

lilolilmanchester Tue 07-Jul-09 14:56:15

mouth watering at these lovely suggestions! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now