Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dairy free birthday cake?

(11 Posts)
SenoraPostrophe Tue 17-May-05 13:31:47

need to make a dairy free birthday cake for dd - she's not allergic, but a boy who is coming to the party is. I can make a carrot cake,but thought I might try something different - can i just replace the butter in a fruit cake with oil? (am loathe to use marge). Any other recipes?

mancmum Tue 17-May-05 13:35:52

i have seen apple puree used instead of butter in some cakes... you buy it in jars in baking depts of supermarkets... it is intended to be low fat but works as dairy free... or why not get an good olive oil type marg... I hate stork and blue band etc but some of the healthier ones would make a better sub... think oil might be too sloppy?

mancmum Tue 17-May-05 13:36:41

or if eggs are OK, what about using the whisked eggs and sugar method of making a cake?

tatt Tue 17-May-05 13:57:08

is the problem just milk or does he have a problemw ith eggs? This is an american recipe - just drop the nuts for children! What's wrong with marge?

Applesauce Raisin Cake

prepare a 9 X 13 or so pan with vegetable spray or oil lecithin mix.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit

Mix together:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins

Into the blender til nearly smooth:
1 cup soy or rice milk
1 cup applesauce
2 small overripe(nearly black is best) bananas
1/2 cup chopped, pitted dates
3 teaspoons EnerG egg replacer
6 tablespoons water

2 small apples, diced, no need to peel

toss apples into the flour mix, pour in the blended stuff, mix gently just
until evenly mixed, pour into the prepared pan, smooth out the top, sprinkle
nuts over all, and bake for about 30 minutes, or until sides begin to pull
away from pan or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Note: this is pretty sweet as is, but if you have a real sweet tooth, add
some maple syrup in place on the 6 tablespoons of water, or use vanilla
flavored soy milk..

tatt Tue 17-May-05 13:58:29

Also this site

http://www.allergy-awareness.com/allergy/directory/Egg-free,+Dairy-free+Cake+Recipe%0D/

SenoraPostrophe Tue 17-May-05 14:01:47

that sounds nice!

eggs not a problem so could go for fatless sponge - they're a bit tricky though aren't they?

marge is a bit nasty - hydrogenated vegetable oil not good for you apparently. Plus I've been eating butter for so long I can't bear the thought. food snob alert!

alison222 Tue 17-May-05 14:08:35

My egg free recipie uses iol and baking powder instead of eggs, so I guess you could use it in a cake instead of Butter. You may have to experiment a bit with the amounts though

motherinferior Tue 17-May-05 14:09:39

just emailed you a muffin recipe

NannyL Thu 19-May-05 21:42:10

Use STORK margarine instead of butter

so flour
Egg
Stork
sugar

STORK is suitable for vegans so MUST be dairy free

tatt Fri 20-May-05 07:43:59

stork is dairy free but has hydrogenated vegetable oils, difficult to avoid them if you have many allrgies to worry about. If you look on the allergy section I posted some links to allergy recipe sites for MrsWood.

SoupDragon Fri 20-May-05 08:24:02

I made a dairy free cake using Pura although I bet this has hydrogenated veg oils in it too - tasted no different to one made with butter tbh.

BTW - watch out if you use tubes of ready made icing as some contain milk protein! I fell for this one. Yo have to look out for several different things if you're looking at ingredients, not just milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now