Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

"The dinner lady" cook book.......what is vegetable softening?

(9 Posts)
emmatmg Tue 17-May-05 13:26:22

Had a quick look in the book but short of time coz need to get to shops for ingredients and post office.

Does she mean vegetable oil?

thanks

Thomcat Tue 17-May-05 13:27:33

Doesn't she just mean cooking vegetables until they have softened?

emmatmg Tue 17-May-05 13:30:03

Oooh, hadn't thought of that.

it says 2oz (for the beef and potato pie) so it can't be oil.

is it just mushy veg then TC?

advocateofthedevil Tue 17-May-05 13:30:25

or vegetable shortening which is something like cookeen. vegetarian lard anyway.

Thomcat Tue 17-May-05 13:32:11

to 'soften' onions, for example, it just means cook lightly in a bit of oil until they loose their cruchiness and go a bit soft but not cooked so they turn brown. So cook slowly over a low heat, stirring until the veg literally softens a bit but not until it changes colour. HTH.

emmatmg Tue 17-May-05 13:44:04

he he he I'm a bad cook Tc, but not that bad.....al my veg turns to mush so I'm a kinda expert at doing it.

How's the bump coming on BTW?

Running out the door right now. I'm sure it must be the cookeen stuff, hope so anyway, this is my first attempt at a home made pie.

advocateofthedevil Tue 17-May-05 13:46:05

the recipe actually says vegetable shortening so it definitely is the cookeen stuff

Thomcat Tue 17-May-05 14:47:45

!!! .

The bean is doing well, making me sick and very, very tired, the bean and Lottie are both doing their best to exhaust me!

TC xx

emmatmg Tue 17-May-05 16:41:03

Ha ha ha advocate, it seems I have to learn to read as well as cook.

I'm always doing that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now