Talk

Advanced search

Crumble without oats?

(13 Posts)
mogs0 Sun 05-Jul-09 17:51:00

Anyone got a recipe?

Mistymoo Sun 05-Jul-09 17:53:22

I only use oats for a change.

I use 6oz flour, 3oz marg/butter, 3 oz sugar all rubbed together to make crumble. I usually add sugar after rubbing flour and marg together.

MrsBadger Sun 05-Jul-09 17:54:45

half fat to flour, rub in
spoonful brown sugar

MrsMattie Sun 05-Jul-09 17:55:31

What MistyMoo said. I like it better without oats.

mogs0 Sun 05-Jul-09 17:56:06

Great, thanks for the quick replies. We will be having crumble after all!!!

mogs0 Sun 05-Jul-09 17:56:36

Would it be strange to add coconut?

OATS?! Aren't they like....<whispers> nutritious <spits> Get them out of your crumble right now! Listen to Mistymoo, she speaketh the truth (except for the bit about marg, use butter) grin

coconut <faints>

<returns invitation to mogs for dinner>

mogs0 Sun 05-Jul-09 18:02:11

What's wrong with oats and coconuts?!! shock Oats make it more crumbly and I thought maybe coconut might make it more tasty (I'm not the best cook and need all the help I can get to make my cooking more edible grin)!!!

Oats are passable ok in crumble.

Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, NO COCONUT.

mogs0 Sun 05-Jul-09 18:14:29

Ok, I promise no coconut but now I'm intrigued to know what it'd taste like...........could I make 2 crumbles?

You could but best not waste your time. If you a bored and in need of baking try Suzy Wong's brownies in the recipe section. They are pure evil blardy delicious.

spicemonster Sun 05-Jul-09 18:38:31

Heston Blumenthal's recipe in the link below - it's absolutely bloody delish. And what's better is that you can make it in huge quantities and freeze it. It's really nice with some fruit and creme fraiche too if you can't be bothered to make a crumble

recipe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now