Talk

Advanced search

Fruit picking - do you eat as you go, and how much counts as stealing?

(43 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Sat 04-Jul-09 20:58:51

I am interested in MN take on this, wrt grapes / supermarket
plus everyone always claims to be ULTRA honest on threads about "i accidentally walked out of supermarket with a dvd" and the op gets lynched

so

i was fruit picking today and i ate LOADS blush and so did everyone with me
do you taste while you are picking, and how much is acceptable? do they factor people eating stuff into the price? does that make it ok?

Swedes Sat 04-Jul-09 21:06:28

I think you'll find they factor this in. So you can eat as much as you like in the safe knowledge they saw you coming.

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jul-09 21:11:53

I don't blush

but I am one of those people who is a dreadful rule follower as is ds

dd and dh however are typical rule breakers so undoubtedly ate loads while they picked

I like to feel I don't do the farmers out of anything. Prices generally v cheap around here.

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jul-09 21:12:40

I wouldn't judge anyone who did anyway as I tend to feel ds and I are too anal grin but it makes us happy!

Bonneville Sat 04-Jul-09 21:12:49

They must factor this in. My local PYO is extortionate!

1dilemma Sat 04-Jul-09 21:13:02

I used to pick fruit for a summer job was still eating at the end of the day and would go home to a bowl of the same for tea smile

Greensleeves Sat 04-Jul-09 21:13:58

Franny [fish slap] you worry too much grin

thisisyesterday Sat 04-Jul-09 21:15:09

i might have one or two, but on the whole no, I don't eat a lot.

our local one is actually more reasonably priced tghan sainsburys.

they also have an honesty box at the end so you can put a bit extra in for any you have eaten, and it all goes to charity

snigger Sat 04-Jul-09 21:16:21

Tis in the Bible - don't muzzle the working bull, and all that.

Holy Writ says you're in the right grin

CMOTdibbler Sat 04-Jul-09 21:18:52

They factor in people eating - my dads friend owned a PYO.

As long as you are putting fruit in your punnet, not just eating and putting the very odd one in, tis OK I think.

But I never eat, or allow DS to eat, fruit or veg in a shop without paying. Today in the farm shop we had to pay for one yellow cherry tomato, one large tomato, and a mushroom that he had picked up whilst I was talking. They didn't want to charge us, but I am trying to teach him this

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 04-Jul-09 21:23:58

Our local fruit farm says 'do not eat before you buy' however, the other day the owner was there when we were strawberry picking and a family had eaten a few and said to him as they walked past, these taste good this season and then they and we started talking about how this years crop taste good, he said he expected the 'odd one' to be sampled, as they are irresistable to everyone, he just does not want to encourage people to eat too many.

So, therefore, eating a couple is ok. Stuffing your face is eating their livelihood.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 04-Jul-09 21:25:11

of course I am talking about fruit picking, not shop picking. I would not dream of DD eating any fruit without paying for it first, not even by accident lest the MN police be on my tail wink

NorbertDentressangle Sat 04-Jul-09 21:27:55

Last year when we went strawberry picking we told the DC that the fruit farm secretly weigh you when you arrive and again when you leave to see how many stawberries you've eaten whist picking grin

snigger Sat 04-Jul-09 21:59:34

I actually miss berry-picking as part of the summer routine - DH and I were talking today about how it was such a major part of the summer holidays 'in our day', yet now it's non existant as a casual activity.

I used to eat my own weight in raspberries - and suffered gut-rot in equal measure.

FrannyandZooey Sat 04-Jul-09 22:26:44

i'm not really worrying greeny but musing
the thing is i would like to eat lots while picking, because nothing tastes so good as a strawberry warm from the sun and straight off the bush into your mouth
but i would like to pay and not steal them
next time we go i think i will say "we ate loads please charge us for them"

FrannyandZooey Sat 04-Jul-09 22:33:56

<thinking> they factor in shoplifting to supermarket shopping
but that doesn't make it ok does it
and arguably stealing from supermarkets (ie 'The Man') is better than stealing from small farmers
so why has no-one threatened to string me up yet? when someone accidentally walks out of tesco's with some hairclips everyone stampedes to villify them

foxinsocks Sun 05-Jul-09 10:51:34

because you sound angsty and not in need of stringing up

though I'm sure we could arrange one if it would appease your conscience grin

lisad123 Sun 05-Jul-09 11:15:49

we went and yes ate some on the way round, but brought a huge amount too. I think farmer do factor this in. Although my dad told me one fruit farm had starting charging before picking, as so many were going and eating their fill and leaving without buy any shock

GossipMonger Sun 05-Jul-09 11:20:08

Personally I think it is wrong and dont do it.

DH told ds2 (4y) that he could eat one last week when they were out in the field and ds was horrified!! DH told him it was OK but ds still bent down as low as he could, put his head into the bushes and ate it as fast as he could! grin

DH said it was hilarious!

Flower3545 Sun 05-Jul-09 11:24:31

blush
This thread has reminded me of the time, as a first time mum, I was taking DD round our local Asda. She would have been around 2 years old and it was hot and uncomfortable in the store.

To try and keep her occupied I picked up a small bunch of bagged grapes and began to give her the odd one in the knowledge that I would pay for the full bag at the checkout.

By the time we got there all that was left was a sad looking stalk in an empty bag.

Ah well I thought It's kept her quiet. I gave the checkout girl the bag and said I'm sorry she seems to have eaten them all but just charge me for the full bag.

With a deep and very loud sigh she retorted

"they have to be weighed to get the price"

blushblushblush

nannyL Sun 05-Jul-09 22:12:32

at our fruit picking farm they have a charity box for the local childrens hospice and suggest you put in a donation to account for the ones you have eaten

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 05-Jul-09 22:24:29

I might eat one or two but no more. My friend's parents run it and are reasonably priced. She told me once how much they earn as a joint salary and I was shocked at how low it was. They have been very busy this year though which is great to see.

meltedmarsbars Sun 05-Jul-09 22:40:06

Most of the fruit farms around here have closed to PYO because they couldn't make a profit, because of the customers stuffing their faces and not paying. Some even brought cream with them! shock

You wouldn't take milk/eggs/a sheep/potatoes/wheat without paying would you?

Can I come to your house and help myself to your stuff?

fortyplus Sun 05-Jul-09 22:42:32

There was loads on radio 2 about this lat year. Lots of fruit farmers are giving up because people eat too much and pay for too little. The farmers expext you to eat a handful but no more.

FrannyandZooey Mon 06-Jul-09 08:32:33

cool this is all good to know
i can take it
i have thieved from fruit farm and will make amends

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now