Talk

Advanced search

Brioad Leafed Parsley - got loads of it - what can I use it for

(15 Posts)
Concepta Fri 03-Jul-09 21:38:34

My husband planted some parsley - well actually quite a lot of it - it is the broad leaf variety. We also have the curly variety - which I use in soups (I usually put it into the freezer and keep until the winter). We have never had this type before and don't know if I can use it in soup and if not what can I use it for. Any advice much appreciated.

meltedmarsbars Fri 03-Jul-09 22:22:10

Use it wherever you would use curly.

You can also make pesto primavera - handfuls of parsley, chives, oregano, mint, a smaller amount of sage/rosemary or other "harder" herb, finely chop and mush up together with olive oil and toasted pine or hazel nuts, and a handful parmesan or pecorino.

beaniebaby25 Fri 03-Jul-09 22:29:19

Finely chop handfuls of parsley and mix in with softened butter. Then bung over little baby potatoes...

yummy

beaniebaby25 Fri 03-Jul-09 22:29:19

Finely chop handfuls of parsley and mix in with softened butter. Then bung over little baby potatoes...

yummy

beaniebaby25 Fri 03-Jul-09 22:29:51

oops

meltedmarsbars Fri 03-Jul-09 22:40:21

Beanie, you're just being greedy having that twice!

frisbyrat Fri 03-Jul-09 22:50:24

German potato soup.
Boil floury potatoes in well-salted water, strain, retaining water, and put potatoes through a sieve.
Season with pepper, more salt if required, and lots of butter and chopped parsley. Thin with some of the water if needed.
Traditionally served with thick jam pancakes on the side.
<drool>

daffodill6 Fri 03-Jul-09 23:00:55

Great with gently fried mushrooms and S & P

thereistheball Sat 04-Jul-09 09:07:02

Chorizo, chickpea and parsley salad with red onion and tomatoes; tabouleh; salsa verde (parsley, mint, dijon mustard, anchovies, capers, lemon juice) for having with any kind of meat or fish.

Concepta Sat 04-Jul-09 12:42:53

Thank you everyone for all your help - will start using it immediately.

Tinkjon Sat 04-Jul-09 14:54:43

We always have flat-leaf parsely, can't stand the curly stuff. It's lovely as a salad leaf in its own right but we get through tons of it as a general seasoning ie. in pasta sauces, risottos, etc. Delish!

janeite Sat 04-Jul-09 15:13:57

Tabouleh is the best use of flat-leaf parsley that I know.

Bulghar wheat, soaked and drained really well. Loads of parsley and a smaller amount of mint. Red onion. Lemon juice. Lots of s&p.

meltedmarsbars Sun 05-Jul-09 22:23:49

Mmmm, salsa verde.

ingles2 Sun 05-Jul-09 22:29:03

really easy flat leaf parsley recipe
penne pasta
jar of tuna in olive oil (the nice stuff,.. not tinned in brine)
red onions
parsley
lemons
olive oil.
cook your pasta
drain the tuna, keep the oil and mix with lemon juice, salt, pepper.
slice the red onion thinly, add to tuna... pick off the parsley leaves, chop slightly, mix into tuna.
drain pasta, stir in tuna mix.
There's no exact measurements to this, make to taste, but I use a lot of lemon and loads of parsley.
The kids also love it smile

beaniebaby25 Sun 05-Jul-09 22:51:49

oh and the medieval (?) use - chew raw as a natural breath freshener wink grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now