Talk

Advanced search

what savoury snack is tummy friendly?? i.e low fat/low calories etc?

(16 Posts)
mad4myboys Fri 03-Jul-09 13:05:37

I dont need to lose weight but have baby tummy which im working on but i know what isnt helping is dh works away ALOT and in the evenings i find myself comfort eating, crisps, icecream and alot of nuts. What savoury can i eat to snack on that wont contribute to my tummy flab?

geordieminx Fri 03-Jul-09 13:10:52

cheese and onion snacker jacks?

Crisps like squares/chipsticks/french fries/monster munch are all around 100 kcal per bag.

mad4myboys Fri 03-Jul-09 13:13:30

is it calories or fat or sugar that i need to avoid or all of them? meaning low calories but high fat.....

SleepyGrrrl Tue 07-Jul-09 18:10:35

you need to eat as much as you burn off, to avoid gain. It sounds like you want to tone up, rather than lose weight, which means exercise aswell.

Pilates is good for that - and you can do it when your DH isn't there.

Also, snack wise, i like rice cakes with low fat cottage cheese and a slice of tomato on it.

If you're eating alot in the evening, try slow burn carbs (brown rice, wholemeal bread etc) and plenty of protein in your evening meal, and drink lots of fluids as this will make you feel fuller (but not booze)

Have things like cherries / grapes to snack on if you're still full after that.

SleepyGrrrl Tue 07-Jul-09 18:11:47

* not * full after that!

mrsmaidamess Tue 07-Jul-09 18:12:16

You should not snack at all.Do your nails instead!

You should have a glass of water every time you feel the urge. Eat 3 proper healthy meals a day, exercise and do not pick. You will lose your tummy.

mrsmaidamess Tue 07-Jul-09 18:13:04

FWIW I am a picker too, and I am off on holiday in 3 weeks! So I am desperate to be good at least until then to rid myself of my spare tyre.

yama Tue 07-Jul-09 18:16:05

Marmite ricecakes are lovely.

Not sure how bad they are for you.

I prefer to up exercise rather than deny myself little treats.

HerHonesty Tue 07-Jul-09 18:16:17

carrots and homemade homous, without the fat.

RenagadeMum Tue 07-Jul-09 18:16:57

Best thing, get preprepared vegetables (carrots, cauliflower etc)

Then, low fat plain yoghurt, chives out of the garden (or not - they are quite easy to grow though) and a speck of vegetable stock cube to however salty you want it.

Dip the veggies! You can truck away at this all day and it kind of tastes like sour cream dip. Good with breadsticks or ricecakes too.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 07-Jul-09 18:19:06

I picked up a multipack of carrot Snapz in sainsbos yesterday because they were half price. These are v. crunchy (often what one craves in a snack, yes?) but remarkably seem to be basically carrot with some flavouring. (I wanted extra salt on them). One of your 5-a day with the mouthfeel of a crisp - quite remarkable. I suppose they must be freeze dried.

KnickKnack Tue 07-Jul-09 19:14:26

plain homemade popcorn (don't add salt or butter etc)

StirlingTheStrong Tue 07-Jul-09 19:29:13

I also like to have snacks in the evenings and so have baked, rather than fried things, like pretzels and twiglets - they have less calories/fat than ordinary crisps.

But, if your DH is away alot and you have the evenings to yourself then get a good workout DVD (Davina is good) and do that in the evenings. Leaves you less time to snack wink

PestoMonster Tue 07-Jul-09 19:52:58

olives?

newgirl Tue 07-Jul-09 19:56:10

food doctor do a tub of toasted beans (broad beans etc) that are salted - they are a bit healthier because they are protein which will fill you up a bit

olives are great as good for you too

duckyfuzz Tue 07-Jul-09 19:59:07

I have a snacking habit and have turned to toasted seeds which are v good for you, not v low cal though. Pickled onions are good, tomatoes in balsamic vinegar, fresh fruit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now